2

Day

I'm at Tess' house with the girl I met on the street minutes ago. Everyone else in the room continues to glance at me as if there's some secret everyone knows but me.

It's probably just another thing I don't know from that period of time I've forgotten.  Eden has his interview tomorrow and I don't know what I'll do during that time.

I mean we are staying with Tess so I'm sure she's planned something but she may have to work.

"So June," Tess says. "What are you doing tomorrow?"

"I don't know. I mean I have work off for a while. The rest of the month actually. Anden went kind of crazy." She says the elector's name as if he's her friend. Maybe she is. I know that I was ten years ago, according to Eden.

"What do you plan to do in that time then?"

"I don't know. Exercise?"

"You never do anything fun June." Tess says. "Hang out with me and Daniel tomorrow. I'll call off."

"No. That's most certainly not necessary."

"You're right." She says with a wink. "I'll go to work. You and Daniel can just hang out." What is going on?

June's face is slightly red as she looks to her feet. Well, to her combat boots.

"That okay with you Daniel?" Tess asks.

"Yeah." I say. I don't know who June is or how she knows all my friends except me, I doubt that's really true, but I want to find out.

"Then it's settled." June stands and drags Tess to the other room with her.

"What's wrong?" I ask Eden.

"Nothing. Nothing." He says.

"I'm tired of you all treating me like this. I want to know who that girl in the kitchen really is because she sure isn't a stranger to any of you."

"I'm sorry Daniel. I don't even know that much."

"Well tell me what you do know!" I say loudly. I stand up and run out the door.

"Day-niel!" June calls running behind me after a few more seconds.

"Why are you calling me that?!" I scream before picking up speed. June chases me for three miles before we both stop to take a breather.

She sits next to me in the ally and I notice tears streaming down her face.

"Who are you?" I ask. I'm suddenly a lot less angry.

"I told you. June. June Iparis."

"You know that's not what I meant. Please tell me."

"I can't." She says.

"Why not?"

"Because I'm the one! The one who killed your mom! And John. It was all my fault they died."

"June you don't exactly seem like a murderer to me."

"Oh it wasn't on purpose. But John gave his life to save you. And after you and Tess were so kind to me in the streets I betrayed you. I led you to your home where commander Jameson killed your mother." She gasps suddenly realizing how much she's said.

"I should go-" she starts to say.

"No. You shouldn't. June please never leave."

"I'm sorry Daniel. I can't." With that June walks away. I run after her for a while but eventually realize that she'll talk when she's ready. Did she really kill my family?