1

Day

"Anden this isn't funny. Where's my girlfriend?" I ask trying to break the chains he's put me in.

"I never said it was funny Day. Don't act like I don't love her as well. I'm trying to find her and have lost hours of sleep over this."

"Yeah well I've barely slept a minute since she's been captured. Find her or I will go in there myself."

"Day that's why you're chained up. We don't want you going to try to find her and getting yourself killed. June would never forgive me for it."

"I won't die then. Let me save her!" Anden gives me a sorry looks and leaves my cell.

He's had me locked up here for a week. Ever since June got captured by the rebels. The colonies are the least of our worries now. I've tried to break free so many times and I honestly haven't slept a wink.

"Let me out!" I scream.

June

"I demand you let me leave." I say with all the strength I have. I haven't eaten in days. They give me water every so often and I had a sandwich maybe two days ago.

"That's sweet princess." My capturer says. "But you're our weapon. The elector wants you safe. His top official Daniel wants you safe. We want them dead. We want you dead too but first you need to help us."

"Never." I say.

"There's something interesting going down back home. It seems Daniel's been locked up."

They show a soundless video of him in an interrogation room with handcuffs on. He's screaming something but I can't tell what.

"The republic locked up your precious Daniel." She says. "Now help us and maybe we'll spare his life."

"No." I say.

"You'd better think that through again princess." I sit up a bit straighter and muster up a little bit of courage.

"No."

Day
One week later

Still haven't found June yet. I'm just stuck in this cell until she comes back. If she ever does.

I've lost everything. My brothers. Well Eden is around but I never see him anymore he's busy working trying to create something to defeat the patriots. My parents. Tess is on the battlefield as a medic.

June is all I have left. Well, had. The door bursts open and I look up hoping to see Anden with a smile. Instead I see a first level guard bringing food. This is my chance.

I get up quickly and tackle him even in handcuffs. I take the knife that was with my food and run. I am way less coordinated in handcuffs and hungry. Why would they even put a knife with my food?

I find the key pretty easily and get them off before running to the nearest jeep I can find. There's an emergency kit with food so I eat a little from it on the way to where I think they could have June. I need strength if I'm planning to fight off armed guards.

I drove for about twenty minutes before parking two blocks away. I then disguise myself as one of their soldiers with tools in the emergency kit and run the last few blocks. I get in relatively easily and am told to report to the commanders office.

I run to the office and knock on the door. My palms are sweaty and my hands are shaking. My mind has so many different failure scenarios running through it.

"Come in." I hear. I open the door to see a commander at her desk.

"I was told to report here ma'am. I'm a new soldier, my name's Baxter." First name that came to mind. As far as I know Baxter is still a soldier so hopefully he's not a soldier for this side.