Bonus chapter: Salem

[One month after birth]

Outside of a village lies a small cottage. Inside the cottage stands two concerned parents and a disheartened town healer.

Father: Well?

Mother: Is she going to be all right?

Healer:... I'm... I'm sorry you two, but given the fact she was born prematurely, I'm surprised she didn't pass on in delivery. I will do everything I can to help her, but to be honest... I give her two months. I'm sorry.

The mother broke down in tears while the father embraced her, holding back his own tears.

Healer: I'll return with some more supplies. I will leave you to your thoughts.

As he takes his leave, the parents make their way to their child's room. Inside the room, stands a small crib. The two slowly walk over to the crib and look upon the occupant laying in it. A sleeping baby, smaller than should be, with a little patch of blonde hair on the top of it's head.

Mother: "sobs" M-my little Salem...

Father: Come on, honey. We'll figure something out. I have faith.

They walk back to the door. As they close the door behind them, a tall figure with a helmet and armor on his arms and legs with a a dark cloak appears from behind the door.

 As they close the door behind them, a tall figure with a helmet and armor on his arms and legs with a a dark cloak appears from behind the door

You: Hmmph. Faith is for the desperate.

He walks over to the crib and places his hands on the edge. He looks down at the small form.

You: How pathetic. To be doomed before you can even open your eyes. They are only denying the inevitable. And when the time comes, it will only be worse for them... I would be committing mercy if I end it here.

He reaches his hand for the babies head to enact what he believes to be the kindest action he can ever commit to a mortal. Then, he stops... He gazes upon the infant, thinking.

Throughout the years since his return, he has watched as children grew up to just roam through life. Seeking purpose that will not grace most of them with the slightest bit of kindness. Some end up lost, some become legends, and some become new monsters to torment the world. He looks upon the baby and wonders; if she were to live, guided in the right direction...

What impact would she have on the world?

He extends his index and touches the child's forehead. A dark energy gently spreads over the baby's body. He retracts his hand back, and the dark energy floats back to it's forehead before disappearing. After a few seconds, the baby thrashes a little before making the first sound since it's birth.

Salem: "cough" "cries"

You: Ssshh. Hush, little one. When the time comes, I will return for you. Until then, rest now... Salem.