Brotherhood

Driving back to North Carolina was boring. I passed out a couple of times with the hum of the car and Lucifer's bad taste in music. He was so into the classical, old, creepy music that can be used for horror scenes that had me dreaming of Insidious. Even then I stayed quiet. I was on edge, the pain on my arm now a distant soreness that couldn't distract me even if I wanted it to. Lucifer had been pretty quiet, his hands gripping the steering wheel comfortably, looking as relax as I've seen him since this whole thing started. Sometimes he would throw looks my way, scanning me. Was he making sure I was okay? I don't know, but there was something in his stare that was comforting, like I knew I was protected.

I was antsy to see my sister, but Lucifer was very persistent with the idea of tracking down the person who placed that phone in the bag.

He said he trusted Pat with his life...

Yet here were.

He didn't want to elaborate, but I knew this had come as a shock, knowing your friend could be the very reason we were rushed out in a rain of bullets. He said he knew where Pat would be, and that he was sure the whole thing had been a stunt to make him believe Pat had no involvement. He didn't say anything about the reason. But then again who can blame him? He was involved in a shit life, and everything around him was turning to shit.

I didn't say this out loud though.

We had been driving for a couple of hours by now and I was starting to get annoyed not knowing where the fuck we were going, so when we started crossing a very small town I started bouncing on my seat , anxious to get out of the car. The faster we "took care of this business" the quicker we can go find my sister. The town only had two gas stations, a small grocery stop, a church and a lot of little houses scattered around. I didn't know where Lucifer wanted to go but I had a feeling that if I opened my mouth to ask, he'd snap.

Thirty minutes later we were parking at a small little house. Very humble tiny house. It had to be a one bedroom and had to have a joint kitchen and living room. That's how small it was.

"Who lives here?" I decided to ask quietly, but Lucifer didn't say anything. We parked down the street and then he exited the vehicle, leaving me behind.

Oh fuck no.

I jumped out and rushed behind him

"Get back in the car, Emma" he said in a monotone voice.

"No" I said, rolling my eyes as the wind picked up and the whoosh of it lifted my hair.

"You just love getting involved, don't you?" he asked quietly. I gave him the finger to his back

"I saw that" he said, still his back to me before he rounded the house and stopped at a back door. I frowned, eyeing his back quietly.

Lucifer knocked at the door twice and stepped back.

"Who-"

The door opened with a loud creak and an elderly woman showed up to the door, her ashen face behind the door screen. She had to be at least eighty or so, her white hair tied up in a loose bun. Her hands were stuffed inside the side pockets of her flowery sleeping gown, her eyes squinting at us.

"Oh Lucas! Young man, you about gave me a heart attack!" she exclaimed slowly, her fragile hand going to her chest and a dark object dropping back in her pocket. I had a feeling that was a gun. I frowned.

"I'm sorry, we were just passing by" he said to her but her eyes turned to me and ignored him

"Oh Mel, what a wonderful surprise!" she exclaimed and opened the screen door, her arms reaching for me. My eyes went wide, and when I opened my mouth to protest, Lucifer pushed me slightly and the old woman embraced me.