Chapter Thirty-Four

"I swear Thea if you move one more time I'm going to poke you in the eye with this brush."

I hold my hands up in surrender and sit still as she gets the makeup brush closer to my face. Rachel started my makeup five minutes ago, saying she'll only do light because she doesn't want to ruin my 'natural beauty'. She does one more swipe before smiling at her work and pulling back. Clapping her hands together, she walks around me, and grabs a mirror, and places it in front of my face. My eyes widen at my appearance, eye liner and mascara making my emerald eyes pop, and a light natural eye shadow accenting my eyes too. I turn and smile to the wonderful woman.

"It looks amazing, thank you Rach." I jump up and give her a light hug, whispering another 'thank you' in her ear. She hugs me back and holds me tighter, her chin raised so she can rest it on my shoulder.

"You are an amazing girl Thea, now you're going to look even more amazing then you already do." We pull away, and she has me sit back down so she can start on my hair. She grabs a bunch of bobby pins and ponytail. I close my eyes as she pulls and poke my head, rearranging my hair to look presentable.

"Ow, ow, ow." I say, as she pulls a giant knot out of my hair. She smacks my shoulder and laughs at me.

"You can knock out my son, but you can't handle a little bit of hair being pulled? What a weenie." I huff at her, my hair is sensitive. I just roll my eyes and close them as she continues.

——

I sit in the SUV with Isabella, Rachel, and Myrna, while the guys took a separate SUV. Rachel and Myrna look beautiful, but Isabella is simply stunning. A pale blue right dress hugs her killer figure, and her bond hair straightened making her look gorgeous and sharp. As soon as we entered the car I removed the sky-high heels Rachel forced me to wear. The plain black stilettos lay on the floor as I rub my feet.

"You all look stunning tonight," Isabella says, and all the women say an 'awe' to her.

"And you don't even come close to being stunning, you look so much more." She gives me a smile at my comment and Myrna smiles at me, a real genuine one.

"I misjudged you Thea, you're one mysterious and amazing girl."

"I've gotten that a lot," I say honest and Rachel lets out a light laugh. We are all smiling and making small talk when the driver turns to us and tells us we've arrived. I sigh as I slip my killer, literally, heels and unbuckle, waiting for my turn to get out of the SUV. Myrna opens the door and slides gracefully out, Rachel next, and finally Isabella.

I stay planted in my seat, my heart beating a mile a minute. I rest my hand on my chest, right above my heart, in attempt to calm myself down. Isabella's blue dress comes in sight and I see her resting on the side of the vehicle with a smile on her face.

"Come on. Don't be nervous, Lucca is pacing out there thinking you ran home." I let out a laugh and I let my body slide against the seats to the open door. I put one leg out, my body preparing myself to walk in these heels. Once my feet hit the ground, I stand up, and the cool night air whips against my skin.

I ignore it and walk up to Lucca. His broad back is to me, and is covered by a black suit and I can only imagine how gorgeous he looks. I walk up behind him silently, which was hard in these heels, and wrap my arm around his waist. He goes to push me away, but then his eyes land on me realizing who I am. His mouth drops to the pavement and he steps away to get a good look at me. He visibly gulps and I large grin plasters my blood red lips.

"You're-oh-wow." He stumbles, trying to find the right words making me laugh at him.

"Thank you, and you look quite dashing mon chéri." He smiles and wraps his long arm around my waist and pulls me to his side as we enter.

"I know my mother chose that dress, and having all these male's eyes on you angers me."

"Lucca, I'm all yours." He smiles down at me, pecking my lips quickly. His actions making my nerves disappear, and I can't thank him enough for that. My heels click against the pavement before we start up the grand stairs into the governor's home. Lights shine from the open door, and chatting and laughter fills my ears as we enter.

Unlike in the books and movies, everyone's heads did not turn at our entrance, we just walk in like normal people. Every woman is in fancy designer ball gowns, the men in their nicest suits. I look up at Lucca, his face stoic making him look dangerously handsome. He looks down at me with a smile, before whisking me to the dance floor, spinning me around. My dress flies with my body, exposing my lower legs, and where the slit is shows more of my thigh. I'm pulled back tightly to Lucca's body as he leans down to whisper.

"I didn't realize you had a giant slit in your dress mon chéri."

"I'm full of surprises, aren't I?" I whisper back, earning a laugh from him. My body vibrates from his laughter, and I feel at peace with Lucca, in his arms. A light tap on my shoulder makes Lucca growl in annoyance and me to turn around. A man about Lucca and I's age has a sheepish smile on his face and he looks away quickly.

"May I have this dance?" I turn to see Lucca nod his head before whispering to me.

"I'm not finished with you though, mon chéri." I smile and peck his lips before turning to the young man.

"Oui." He smiles before taking my hand and waltzing me around the ballroom. His smile turns to confusion as I dance silently with him, his touch bringing me a feeling of uncomfortableness.

"Do you not remember me Thea?" How does he know my name and who I am? I shake my head making him laugh and shake his head.

"David, David Marcolini." I push him back before storming away. Frank's son. I should have known they would up their game to get to me, but they will not get me, especially not tonight.