✯ Chapter 8

“Good morning, Central City!”

I snap awake to the familiar voice of the Central City News and Weather station I have set as my alarm. Oh boy. Second day of classes.

I slowly tear the blanket from my weary body and put my feet on the carpeted floor. I sigh. It’s only been one full day, I can’t be this tired already! I stretch my hands out to my sides, then above my head, yawning.

I rise from my bed and lazily stroll over to the two glass doors that open to the balcony. Stepping outside, I can see traces of a glorious sunrise a half hour before. The air is already somewhat warm— I can stand here without the fear of shivering. I pick a leaf from the mint plant and chew it, hoping to freshen my breath.

Remembering that it’s not summer break anymore and that I have a schedule now, I step back inside and gently close the door. I pad over to my dresser and open the pants and shorts drawer. I choose some stretchy, light wash skinny jeans and a spring green thick-strap tank top. I comb my golden-brown hair methodically, and then put it into a low, side ponytail. I look in the mirror, actually somewhat pleased with my appearance. Satisfied, I grab my bookbag and head out the door.

I stroll out of the dorm building and onto the cobblestone path that twists and turns throughout a courtyard-ish area between the dorms and Dining Room. The trees sprinkled throughout are still covered in their richly green summer leaves, and create patches of elongated shade from the morning sun.

As I’m walking, the path merges with another as it makes its way to the Dining Room. Ellis and Westley join me on the path, and I turn around to say hi.

“Hey, Ellis. And Westley, right?”

“Yup,” he replies with a small smile. “Are you Parisa’s sister? You look a lot like her.”

I smile fondly. “Yes, I am her sister.”

Looking over to Ellis, I notice she hasn’t said a word, not even to return my greeting. She actually looks kind of down-in-the-dumps. I decide to prod a bit to see what’s up.

“So, Ellis, how are you this morning? Tired already from the first day?” I ask with a smile.

“I’m okay.”

I can see from the way she doesn’t look at me or smile that she is in fact not okay. I press on.

“Are you sure? You don’t look very happy.” I reply, casting her a concerned look.

“Well, It’s… It’s nothing.”

“Seriously. It’s fine. You can tell me.” Something about the sudden change in the previously-perky girl makes me want to help her.

"Parisa said she didn't want to eat lunch with me and Westley today because she's sitting with Aately." She blurts out. She then bites her lip.

My eyebrows raise immediately. I know all about Aately, and her sister too. Aately and Yvette Sager are first and sixth-years, and air elements. Aately takes after her big sister, who is snobby and apparently way too good for anyone else but herself. She only keeps friends around to attend to her beck and call, and also has a big group of people who follow her around. The whole thing makes me sick. I definitely do not want my little sister “befriending” Aately, who will eventually just cast her aside and move on to other “friends.” She’ll be hurt, and I can’t stand for that.

"Oh. Um, wow.” I say, trying to get over my shock and disapproval. “Can you tell her the next time you see her to come talk with me? And— I'm really sorry, Ellis. She's not trying to be rude, trust me," I say, trying to assure her.

"Okay. Thanks." she says, and her face finally turns from a frown to a slight smile.

"Alright..." I say awkwardly, starting to walk again. "Have a nice day!"

"Thanks, you too," Ellis says quietly.

⋄-⋄-⋄-⋄-⋄-⋄-⋄-⋄-⋄-⋄-⋄-⋄

I’m eating toast at our regular table when Kaelie shows up, and starts laughing at me. "I don’t think all that’ll fit in your mouth, Ram," she giggles, shaking her head.

I roll my eyes. “Shut up Kae.”

She holds her hand over her heart. “Ouch! You don’t have to be so rude!” She says in fake disbelief. We both start cracking up.

I see Parisa walking by with a fair-skinned girl who has short, dirty blonde hair, and my face turns to stone.

“Ramaya? Hello?” Kaelie waves her hand in front of my face.

"I, um… she," I stumble. I decide to tell Kaelie. "I talked to Ellis, you know, the red-head girl? I talked with her this morning. She told me that Parisa wasn’t going to eat lunch with her because she was eating with Aately Sager."

Kaelie gasps a little bit. "Uuuuuh, yeah. Don't want Parisa getting in with that crowd. Her and her sister have a big enough following already. It's only been two days and Aately, a first year, has a crowd! Sheesh!"

"Yeah, I know. Ridiculous. Why do people love them? They just think they're above everyone else!" I growl, getting annoyed.

"Calm down. As much as I’d like to, we can’t do anything about it," she says, knowingly.

"I know, but, urgh!" I say, angrily balling up my fists in my lap.

"Just eat," she says, and I obey. By the end of breakfast, I'm a bit more calm.

⋄-⋄-⋄-⋄-⋄-⋄-⋄-⋄-⋄-⋄-⋄-⋄

Everything goes fine until lunch. I see Ellis and Westley eating alone, and wonder why Parisa's not there. Then I remember. Ugh. Aately. I get angry all over again at her and her sister and simmer all through lunch, not saying much. I walk to flying class alone.

As soon as I get there, I start stretching outside with others who also got there early. As I’m upside-down, stretching my hamstrings, I see through my legs hazel-eyes and a friend walk up to a group of people. He catches my eye, and smiles, and I sheepishly look away and smile.

What is it about him?’ I ask myself. I assure myself he just happened to look over here, he wasn't looking at me. I stand up straight and move to a different stretch, and see he's just idly chatting with his friends. ‘See? He's not even thinking about me.’ But then as he's talking he looks right at me, catching me looking at him.

I must look like a deer in the headlights because he smiles and waves. I blush (a lot, probably) and awkwardly wave back. He turns back to his friend and carries on like nothing happened.

But in my mind, something happened. I get this feeling in my stomach that’s unfamiliar to me, one that feels like excitement and longing at the same time. I close my eyes and try to focus on stretching, but the picture of his face, and especially his eyes, keeps entering the back of my mind.

What is it about him that’s affecting me?

---

This chapter has been revised and edited.