✯ Chapter 46

“Today, we will be spending a bit less time training, because I have some important news to deliver. It has just been announced that the style for the Battle Team tournament is going to be different this year.”

I can hear murmurs of excitement and surprise from the group.

“As all of you should know, the Battle Team tournament takes place at the end of each season, or year, of Battle Team. Usually, it consists of the five teams playing each other and trying to win, thus getting a higher ranking. It goes on for two weeks, with a battle happening about every other day. But this year, the government, who sponsors Battle Team, has decided to, well… Mix it up.”

Mix it up? They’re changing the tournament style, which has remained the same since Battle Team even started? This better be good. I cross my arms and frown slightly as Mr. Farefax continues.

“So, this year, the tournament will consist of every single team in one huge arena. The battle will go on until there is only one team whose members are left alive. Or, unfrozen. You get my point.”

Everyone stares at Mr. Farefax. Blank, expressionless faces full of confusion. One kid looks like he’s about to throw up. All the teams in one arena? How are we ever going to be able to win that?

Mr. Farefax grimaces at our response to the news. He tries to sell the idea to us.

“Obviously, many of you are probably wondering— if every single member in Battle Team will be participating, how long will this battle go on for? And the answer is, probably more than a day. I haven’t been given a ton of information, but I can tell you that the arena is very large, bigger than any of the ones you’ve ever competed in before, and the teams will each enter it at a different part. It will take a bit for one team to even find another team.”

Thoughts, questions, and concerns race through my mind. A seventh-year raises his hand.

“Yes? Question?”

“Well…” he starts, “If the battle is going to go on for such a long time… Won’t we need to eat? And drink?”

“Ah, I was expecting that question. All of the teachers were given an answer to that specific question— I’ll see if I can recite it for you. Because the battle will most likely span more than a day, the body will obviously need some sort of nutrition and sustenance to keep it going. The suits you will be wearing at the tournament will provide your body with a steady stream of nutrition and liquids, so that you won’t have to survive by finding food in the arena. However, the “food” the suit gives you is not a lot— just a bit more than absolutely needed to survive— so, you might want to supplement that with food you do come across in the arena.”

My eyebrows furl. I understand the concept, I just have no clue how that would work. But I ignore it, I honestly don’t know how half the equipment and facilities here at Battle Team work.

Drexel’s hand slowly raises into the air.

“But Mr. Farefax, if we know that we will be fed and will survive, what will keep us from wanting to battle one another? Won’t the teams just make a little camp somewhere and not want to go to war with one another?"

“Excellent question, Drexel. This is one of the subjects of the tournament that I was given very little info on. From what I’ve heard, it seems as if you will be given an injection, a shot really, that will give your brain the illusion that you are actually in a real battle, and that the teams are your enemies. You won’t be able to just hole up and not fight.”

I nod slowly, fully taking in the concept of the tournament. It sounds pretty scary, and I’m not exactly hooked on this injection, but I’m sure it will be a lot more… exciting than tournaments in years past.