✭ Chapter 23

I'm walking through the halls slowly. Tears are streaming down my face. I need a break. I have to get away. The willow.

Outside it's cold. So bitterly cold and dark. Shivers wrack my body, as well as sobs. I sprint to the willow, pulling up the hem of my dress. My lungs are burning, but the pain feels good. I run into the clearing, and look around frantically. There is no escape. There is no shelter from the pain. My eyes squeeze shut as hot tears stream out. Shrinking down, I place my hands onto the ground. The snow bites at my fingers. I let my knees fall to the floor, and then my elbows. Moisture seeps into the beautiful dress that I will never wear again. I hear footsteps crunching through the pine needles.

"So this is where you ran to." The voice, and footsteps belong to Payson.

I look up at him. He's wearing a dark blue shirt, and black pants His white leather jacket is draped over his shoulder. "They're worried about you."

I sink back down. "Please," I whisper hoarsely, "Go away. I need..." Tears run down my face quietly. "I need to be... alone," I finally spit out.

"Nobody wants to be alone. Brooke and the others are looking for you. I wanted to know if you were okay, but I guess this answers everything." he says, motioning to my curled up form.

I glare up at him from where I am on my knees. "You don't say!"

But I'm also relieved he's not trying to comfort me. I would just cry more.

"You're going to catch a cold." he says, backing away. His white leather jacket flies through the air and lands on my shoulders. Our eyes meet, and his blue eyes almost seem to glow in the dark. He turns away and starts walking.

"Payson?"

He stops walking, but doesn't turn. "Yeah?"

"Happy Solstice," I manage to get out. He smiles, and I smile weakly back. Then he goes.

•-•-•-•-•-•-•-•-•-•-•-•-•-•-•-•

The cold snow finally drives me to leave, but if it weren't for that, I don't think I ever would have gone. As I walk back, I take deep breaths. In, out. In, out. The cold air freezes my throat and lungs, so I walk as quickly as I can all the way to my dorm. I collapse on my bed, one last sob escaping my mouth. Somehow I change into pajamas and get in bed. And then I sleep. I sleep for what seems like a million hours, just trying to recover from the winter solstice night.

•-•-•-•-•-•-•-•-•-•-•-•-•-•-•-•

The next day, I sleep till noon. Wintry sunlight softly makes its way through my blinds, waking me. I yawn. Last night seems like a dream, with the extreme emotions I went through. I shake my head, clearing it and focusing on the new day. I see two slips of folded paper right in front of my door. Slowly, I make my way over and pick one up.

Zaiden Tirasty

First gift is a treat or candy, Deliver to newsroom by December 24

Second gift is a clothing item, Deliver by December 30

Final gift is a New Year's card, Deliver by December 31.

The secret giver! I forgot all about that. So, Zaiden's my buddy. What a small world. And I have to get him candy in the next two days. Simple enough. I'll go shopping in Central City tomorrow morning. I open the next slip.

Ramaya Naciat,

It has come to my attention that you have applied for Battle Team, Air. The tryouts will begin on January 3rd at 2:00 sharp, and will continue until the 5th. It will be a pleasure to see you there.