Chapter 18; Friends?

Draco's POV:

I walked up the cold stone steps of the astronomy tower. Somewhere deep inside I knew she would be here. Sure enough, as I opened the door slightly, there she was, leaning against the balcony.

I stopped for a beat, then snuck up beside her to lean on the railing. She didn't even notice, her eyes closed against the wind.

"Hey," I said finally, and her eyes shot open and looked at me incredulously. She opened her mouth to speak, then decided against it, turning away. I could almost see the wheels turning in her head. I was also probably the last person she wanted to talk to at the moment. I suddenly understood what she thinking, clear as glass. I wanted to make up for it, but not because Granger bribed me.

"Look, before you say anything," I say finally, "I'm sorry. For overreacting."

She looked at me, and I could see her eyes beginning to water.

"And . . ." I searched for the right words. "I now realize that you haven't been really . . . fitting in at school, right?" I internally cringed, waiting for an angry response, but she surprised me with a slight nod. The tears began falling.

Then I did something daring. Taking both her hands in mine, I forced her to look in my eyes.

"I haven't been either." I said. "No one's ever going to forgive for what they think I've done." I continued, more to myself.

I sighed deeply, a rare boldness surging through me, giving me courage. I said what I never thought I would ask a Gryffindor girl:

"My leaving you that night gave me time to think, and I realized something important. I  like you, Philomene, I really do. Will you go out with me tomorrow night?"

Surprisingly, her face brightened, and her face broke into a smile.

"Of course I will!" she cried.

I smiled at her gorgeous face.

--------------------------------------------------------------
Well, that was a short chapter!😛 Is it happening too quickly? I'm trying to not rush it, but not take it too slow, either. It's a painful balance. BTW; I am having SO much trouble with this keyboard right now, because it is capitalizing all of my words and I have to go back and fix all of them now. Hope you're enjoying the story, comments are awesome. I am not posting another chapter until I have 25 votes. That's just 3 more votes, guys. Come on, I'm not asking for 100. Just 3. So everyone go and vote on your three favorite chapters, thank you SO MUCH!!!

-PhilomeneCat