Nothing.

His hand went for the door handle, but a shuffling noise from the back seat stopped him. He looked back and sure enough, Adrien Horn was there, curled up against the door.

Sebastian crawled into the back and sat close to him. “Adrien, what’s wrong?”

“He’ll find me.” Adrien’s voice trembled. Tears flowed from his eyes. “He’s going to find me!”

Sebastian placed his hand on the boy’s shoulder. “He won’t find you Adrien. But if he does, I won’t let him hurt you. Come here.” He pulled the redhead onto his lap and held him close.

Adrien’s cheeks flared up but it didn’t stop the fear growing in his heart. His father would come one day. Adrien would stare into those evil blue eyes once more and be his toy.

Like a doll being returned to its owner.

He rested his head against Sebastian’s strong chest, listening to the soft rhythm of his breathing. His tears dripped off his nose.

Silence linger. Sebastian listened for the stop of Adrien’s tears but seemed like it would never end. The boy was so scared that he probable wouldn’t stop thinking about how close Mr. Horn was.

Then an idea popped into his head. It seemed like the right mood, so he softly cleared his throat and let his voice broke into a soft hum, the slowly let it turn into a song and sang the words in a slow tune:

   Oh, I’m the last of the giants. My people are gone from the earth. The last of the great mountain giants, who ruled all the world at my birth.

   The small folk have stolen my forests. They’ve stolen my rivers and hills. And they built a great wall through my valleys, and fished all the fish from my rills.

   In stone halls they burn their greats fires. In stone halls, they forge their sharp spears. Whilst I walk alone in the mountains, with no true companion but tears.

   They hunt me with dogs in the daylight. They hunt me with torches by night. For these men who are small, they can never stand tall, while giants still walk in the light.

   Oh, I’m the last of the giants, so learn well the words of my song. For when I am gone, the singing shall fade, and silence will last long and long.

  Oh, I’m and the last of the giants. My people are gone from the earth. The last of the great mountain giants, who ruled all the world at my birth.

 His deep, rich, honey voice immediately caught Adrien’s attention. As Sebastian sang, Adrien’s mind only focused on his voice; not thinking about the devil who was feet away and could’ve easily came over to see if Adrien was in the car. The tears in his eyes slowly stopped, and when Sebastian’s song ended, he looked up.

“What was that?” He asked softly.

Sebastian gazed down at him. “It’s called The Last of The Giants’. While it is a sad song, there’s a very powerful meaning behind it.”

“And. . . .what is that meaning?”

Sebastian looked out the window. “In my opinion, it’s that we shouldn’t steal land from others and creatures. Take the Native Americans for example. They lived here for centuries had the right to this land. It was theirs long before the pilgrims came. If the pilgrims had negotiated and compromised with the Indians for land instead of taking it by force, maybe the natives would still have their land and their way of life.” His lips pressed into a thin frown.