vermillion | katsuki bakugo

"vermillion." Katsuki Bakugou x Reader oneshot.

mod todo] this soulmate au is color-blind: You are unable to see the color/shade of whatever the eyes of your soulmate is until you both meet - well, eyes. 

Note for people with hemophobia!! Your quirk in this chapter has to do with blood, so please try and ignore my descriptions of the quirk when I have words in bold italic. You've been warned! <3

---

"I just can't seem to understand it, really," you spoke to your friend, closing your eyes momentarily as a sigh escaped your lips, "because, let's be real - how in the hell can someone have red eyes?"

You furrowed your brows as you looked at Auefrit, who shrugged. "I don't know either, ___," she admitted, "the closest I have to guess are Albino's, but even then, their eyes aren't really red, more so... pink... I guess?"

You sighed, gripping your mug tighter. It just didn't make sense to you. "Well, if my soulmate was actually an albino, wouldn't they be easy to see?" you countered. Auefrit paused for a moment before solemnly nodding, and you continued, "albinos have bright - almost platinum blonde hair and practically paper-white skin, right? So then why are they so hard to find? It's been fifteen years!"

She chuckled softly as you threw your hands up in exasperation. "Though that may be true, soulmates do take some time finding, depending," she replied. 

You didn't like that reply.

"No - ew, no. I think I've waited long enough I should see him by now."

"Hey now," she laughed again. "Maybe you might! The sports festival is coming soon, non?" There goes her French, "what if he's there... in the crowds, or - !! Oh! Maybe he's a contender! What if you end up fighting him...! Mon Dieu!"

You rolled your eyes and looked down at the cafe's wooden table as she began to spurt out random ideas. To be honest, you really hoped one of them, at least, could happen. Call yourself a hopeless romantic, but, catching eyes on one person in the crowd, and seeing a rainbow of colour overwhelm you... it sounded so, very pleasant. Almost like that in a movie.

"-speaking of," you looked back up at Auefrit as she continued with a more serious tone, "you really need to get to train, ___." 

You nodded to her with a light-hearted laugh. Auefrit was in Yuuei academia the same as you, except you weren't in her class. She was in training for a support hero - her quirk mostly providing shields for herself and others - and you were a regular hero-in-training.

Class 1B to be exact, of the hero class. And her building was right behind yours. The only way you two really met was when you toppled into what seemed to be some invisible girl and she put a barrier around you to prevent spillage on yours and the girl's outfits during lunch hour.

You always reminisced the thought.

Anyway, Auefrit wasn't required to go to the sports festival like you were, so it was a classic move for her to care for your well-being and your passion to become a pro-hero. 

"I'll be right in the stands, cheering you on," you recalled her saying. 

"Of course, Auefrit, then I will. Merci beaucoup." She nodded at you with a smile as you picked up your stuff to leave.

"Bonne journee, ___," she commented. You waved her off politely and strode out of the cafe with a determined smile. 

--

Your quirk was called Bloodlust. 

You had the ability to take up to 1/3rd of your blood from your body and use it against others as a weapon or capturing equipment. The blood comes out of your body from under your fingertips, and you can manipulate it into weapons, thicken/thin your blood or make it into a rope to capture something and etcetera. Once you overextend the use of your quirk, or you use too much blood, you become dizzy and have a migraine, and you'd need to force yourself to deactivate your quirk. If fully overextended you pass out, and your blood returns to your body via bodily instinct. Normally when using your quirk you form a mild headache, which is why you're known to be sharp-tongued.