Chapter ~1~

Lance always did what his parents said. No matter how hard it was, he did it. Despite his attitude, his father was important, and Lance knew not to anger him.

Lance was a merman. His family was large, and his father was on the council. The council was a group of merfolk who decided everything for their tribe. They were off the coast of California, and the waters were always inhabited by humans. They constantly had to hide from them, especially when going to the surface.

He flared his gills and let the spines on his tail raise. They caught the current, allowing him to drift upwards with ease. He felt so calm that he forgot to be careful.

Lance swam to the shallow coral reefs, plucking off clams and choosing pretty shells. He giggled as he swam closer to the shore.

Carelessly, he hid behind a boulder to look at the humans. They were splashing and running laughing hard and enjoying themselves. Lance swished his tail and leaned on the rock, forgetting his chores and worries.

Everything was perfect until Lance heard a splash next to him. He whipped around to see a human. A scream erupted from his throat and he dived into the water, dropping his bag.

His heart pounded as he sped his way towards the cove where he lived. "Mom!" He screamed, flinging himself through the cave. "It saw me!"

"What saw you?" His mother grabbed his arms. "I think a human saw me!" Lance gasped, burying his head in his mother's shoulder.

She wrapped her arms around him, "It's okay sweetie. Did you run away as soon as possible?"

Lance nodded, "I didn't get the shells or clams, though."

"You can go back up and get them, I'm sure the human will be gone by the time you get up there again." She let go of him. Lance sped away again.

Once at the surface, his scrounged the bottom of the floor, looking for his pouch. As he did so, he filled his other bag with shells and clams.Lance surfaced his head and looked around for the first time in awhile and was surprised to see all the humans gone. He took a deep breath and smelt rain. No wonder they had left.

Lance needed to get to his home before the storm full out started. He sped off towards the cove, struggling against the now strong currents.

He gasped as the current forced him against the coral, hitting his tail. There was a sick ripping noise as one of his fins tore in half. He struggled to get to the surface again, knowing it was too dangerous to go home.

He forced himself upwards and struggling onto a boulder. Once he laid there, he willed his tail to turn into legs, like he'd been taught.

Mers could change their tails to legs for long periods of time if needed. So, Lance struggled to shore. He lay behind a rock, hoping it would protect him from the water.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
(Keith's POV)

Keith had seen something at the beach. It had a strange tail, and he had heard a humanlike screech. Now Keith was heading to the beach early morning so that he could go surfing again.

He walked down the sandy beach, and suddenly stopped cold. He yelped when he saw the injured man lying in the surf. "Oh my God! Are you okay?!" Keith ran over as fast as he could.

The man in the surf was tan, with curly brown hair. He was wearing black swim trunks, but nothing more. He was also covered in cuts and bruises.

Keith lifted the stranger and was surprised to hear a pained gasp come out of his mouth. "You need a hospital," Keith told him firmly. "N- no!" The boy gasped.

"Let me go!" He tried to pull away from Keith but was too weak. "Just come with me, everything will be alright." Keith lifted the man into his arms, struggling over to his car.

Once they were in the car, Keith drove to his apartment, casting wary looks at his passenger.

He took him into his house and lay the stranger on his bed. As soon as he did so, he grabbed some first aid."N- no. Just put me in some water." The man struggled to speak. "Um, okay." Keith opened his bathroom door and turned on the tub.

Awhile later, Keith was sitting on his couch. He realized that he hadn't heard anything from the man in too long. He knocked on the door.

"Are you okay?" No response. "I'm coming in, okay?"

Keith was not prepared for what he saw when he opened the door.