15: Double Rejections

Start from the beginning

"Fine." Feng Mian relented. Fei Long heaved a sigh of relief, almost unnoticed.

"Young Master Zhao!" A delighted voice suddenly called.

Both Feng Mian and Fei Long turned to see Dean dashing across the fountain plaza, carrying a bag of food. A charming smile on her face as her shoulder-length hair bounced with the evening breeze. She was wearing civilian's clothes instead of her uniform.

"Butler Fin told me you'll be late, but I wanted to leave with you from my school." She said, obviously having been out cold for far too long.

"Your school ended 4 hours ago." Feng Mian clarified after glancing at her wristwatch.

"Yes, but I stayed in that Cake Shop to wait upon you." She had heard from Feng Mian's butler where she was, and made sure she was there after the dinner gathering with the Liu's. She wanted to see Feng Mian every moment she got.

She then presented the plastic bag she has been holding. "Young Master Zhao, I've bought some siopao. I thought they were especially delicious, so please have a try!" She already took one from the plastic bag and offered the bun by Feng Mian's mouth, which the latter subconsciously took a bite before taking the whole bun into her hand.

"En, good." Feng Mian curtly agreed, taking another bite. She missed dinner due to all the fuss brought by Fei Long's grandmother, then Ying Yue came later to add to the chaos.

Dean brazenly grabbed Feng Mian's sleeve and urged her to move. "Let's go home?"

It was not strange for Dean to ask Feng Mian to go home with her as the former had been living in Feng Mian's mansion a week after Sunshine Orphanage was reformed. She had begged Feng Mian to hire her as her servant, to which Feng Mian reluctantly agreed with a condition that she must go to school every day and pass every semester without a hitch.

The Sunshine Orphanage followed through Feng Mian's instructions and registered the rest of the students in the nearby Public School.

Henceforth, Dean had stayed in Feng Mian's mansion, always trying to be helpful to the latter every chance she gets. She always proclaims that her life is owned by Feng Mian for saving them twice, promising herself to serve Feng Mian for life.

No matter how much Feng Mian tried to dissuade the young girl, she remained stubborn.

"Okay." Feng Mian bobbed her head before turning to Fei Long who has been quietly staring at the bun in her hand. "Well then, have a good evening, Mr Liu."

"Be on time tomorrow." After that, Fei Long turned to leave as well, back to where the restaurant's parking lot was.

Dean glanced back at Fei Long's retreating form, a sharp gaze glowing in her limpid eyes. She was not gonna let anyone get close to her Young Master Zhao! Not if she can help it, she promised as her grip tightened on Feng Mian's sleeve.

As they were walking quietly, Feng Mian suddenly said, "I cannot satisfy your emotional needs."

Dean was struck numb by how easily she was found out. She tightened her grip onto Feng Mian's sleeve even more as she solemnly said, "Doesn't matter. I'll be here when you need me..."

Feng Mian briefly glanced down at Dean's long eyelashes that half-covered her eyes. She could clearly see a beautiful girl's unyielding expression, and she just knew, she was not gonna escape from the girl's courting any time soon.

"You shouldn't sacrifice yourself over someone who won't turn to look back at you. You are as equally deserving of a worthy love just as everyone else. And I'm not that person." Feng Mian once again confirmed.

Dean bit her lower lip, restraining her threatening tears with the pain in her heart. Her love has only begun and it was now breaking to pieces, but she couldn't handle giving up that easily. So she softly and quietly promised.

"If it's not you, I don't want anyone else."

"You are only 13."

"Young Master Zhao, I'm only 2 years younger than you. In 5 years, that difference will be nothing... Please do not push me away..." Dean's voice quivered at the end of her sentence, as if it greatly pained her when the thought of not being able to serve by Feng Mian's side anymore.

She has completely overcame her stuttering after serving in the Zhao mansion for over 2 weeks. It was initially because of her blooming feelings for Feng Mian after being attracted to her for so long. The time was ripe enough for her to realize she has fallen quite deeply, even moreso when serving a dashing but cold young master.

She has also learnt more about Feng Mian from the people in the Zhao estate, and they were all saying every positive noun to compliment how godly Feng Mian is. Her feelings only grew deeper after her curiosity was satisfied after one another until it was impossible for her to retract, because hundreds of hopes have already crawled their way into her heart.

"Suit yourself." Feng Mian relented, finishing up her siopao.

Meanwhile, when Dean heard this, she felt like she had been given amnesty! She was so delighted that the jabbing pain in her chest was momentarily forgotten. Even if her hope was dashed early on, at least she can remain beside Feng Mian and continue to foster her feelings, even she had to keep it all to herself.

Of course, she also secretly hoped Feng Mian would eventually notice her devotion. She did not stop for a moment to think about their difference in social standing because Feng Mian never treated anyone differently, preferring to be aloof and calculating all throughout while keeping her kindness at the very bottom.

Dean looked up at the night sky just in time to see a falling star. She was so excited that she grabbed hold of Feng Mian's hand and shook it. "Young Master, Young Master! A shooting star!"

Feng Mian glanced up and saw another shooting star. She then heard Dean fuss, "Close your eyes and make a wish, Young Master." As she said so, she closed her eyes immediately.

Feng Mian shrugged and continued eating another bun of siopao. As soon as she faced down the street, another star fell.

Dean was still holding Feng Mian's hand even after the consecutive falling stars. Whether Feng Mian noticed or not, she allowed Dean to hold her hand, spreading human warmth with their connected fingers and palm.

Dean had an uncontrollable smile on her face, her limpid eyes glittering with stars not unlike the night sky above them.