Chapter 48: The Cliff

"Come on Katara hurry up!" Aang called to Katara. He hopped on one foot as he tried to put a shoe on the other.

"I'm hurrying!" Katara called back fastening the many buttons on her coat, they were just about out the door when I called to them.

"Wait! Do you have to leave so early?" I asked them, I didn't want to be alone with this worry and dread in the back of my mind.

"Bella it's waterbending training! We have to go!" Katara replied as she and Aang ran out the doorway and out of the hallway.

At least I have Sokka, "Well Sokka guess it's just you and--"

"Bye Bella gotta go!" Sokka yelled running out the door.

"--me." I finished.

Dang it. Whatever, I'll find something cool to do, something fun. I gathered all the belongings I've ever owned into my lousy bag and headed out the door. I walked through the palace and then out the palace doors. Everything in the North Pole was made out of ice, it reminded me so much of the South Pole.

It's so crazy to think I've traveled across the globe in under a couple months on an air bison and another airbender.

Another Airbender

I kicked stray ice into the river in on the side of the walkway. I can't believe I haven't told a soul yet. Katara doesn't count, in a matter of myself being reckless she got caught in the way and found out herself. I never actually told her.

I turned on the corner of the road and came face to face with the cliff that marks the end of the city. I looked up and saw miles and miles of ice, leading all the way up to the top of the cliff. It was smoothed out and carved to look like a wall.

After a quick check behind me I blew hot air at the wall. The ice softened and I was able to dig my fingers in without the ice collapsing.

"Here goes nothing..." I mumbled and dug both my hands into the wall. I pulled myself up and then shot my feet into the wall. Over and over again, blowing hot air and then pulling myself up.

Don't look down. Don't look down. Don't look down. When I looked down I saw a lot more distance between me and the ground then I thought there would be.

I turned my head back to face the wall. Come on. I let out a breathe and continued the climb.

Over and over again. Sometimes my hand or foot would slip and I'd just about pull myself back against the wall.

But I kept going.

Before I knew it I had reached the top. I dug my feet in one more time before heaving myself over the edge and landing on the top of the cliff on my back.

I was breathing hard breathes and sometime along the way my hood had fallen off, what a stupid idea.

I looked back down at the ground, my hair falling off the sides of the cliff. I leaned back over and let out a breathy laugh, who says I can't scale a cliff.

I picked myself up off the ground and stood up. The air was thin and it was extremely cold, I had an instant regret of not bringing my coat but when I looked over the cliff and saw the view. It didn't even matter. The entire city was made of ice and snow, materials thought to be bland but each building had symbols and markings. The city was lit up in lights all the way from the palace to the cheapest shed. I could hear happiness and laughter all over the city. The people were just little bobbing heads but I could feel the strength of the city.

For a moment the default dread the North Pole gave me disappeared.

And then it came back.

I shook my head trying to get rid of the thoughts and decided to get on with what I came here to do.

I reached into my bag, pushing away the diary and various hair bands and pulled out the glider, my father's glider.

I held it gently in my hands and began to unfold the wood. I set it up against myself. It was a little tall but I'd get used to it.

I placed my hands on the glider, one in the middle and one on the dominant side. I swung it around myself, having it push and pull the air underneath me.

It gave me such joy to airbend, to be apart of the art.

I swung it around myself again and again and and hit it in front and to the side. Passing air in all directions of the the cliff side. Not caring who could see or what would happen I just continued to dance with the stick and in the air.

Finally I stopped and tried to calm my breathing, the dread had basically faded away.

I looked upon the old stick in my hands, airbending with a staff is way more satisfying than airbending with your hands. I can see why Aang keeps his close.

Alright here we go with this crazy plan. I tapped the glider so the actual glider part would extend. The wings extended and instead of Aang's orange the color of the wings was more of a pale yellow.

I have memories of my father explaining little things, I don't remember all of them, but I remember one tip that he expressed very passionately to me, even as child.

Don't think, just kick off and trust the wind. Trust yourself.

I grabbed a hold of the bars, and began running with the air rushing towards me and the glider on my back. I made a turn so I would take off into the ocean instead of over the city. I continued to run, as fast as I could. I was nearing the edge faster and faster.

Finally I did my best to kick myself forwards and off the ground, I shut my eyes, tight.

My legs left the ground and tucked onto the other side of the glider. I felt the wind against my face. I opened my eyes and saw that I had run out of track.

I was flying over the ocean, right into the most beautiful sunset I'd ever seen.

---TIMESKIP---

After my ride I landed quickly on the paths of the city instead of taking my long way down. I shoved the glider back in my bag ran towards the palace. Aang, Katara and Sokka should be back by now since the palace keepers said they would bring us dinner.

I ran into the palace and down the hallway and then right through the door.

Everyone looked upset, Aang and Katara were moping and Sokka looked like he was so frustrated he could cry.

"What happened to you?" Katara asked me. I patted my hair down from it's frizzy state as normal as I could get it.

"Shouldn't the question by what happened you guys?" I tried to turn the attention of the room away from me.

"Don't change the subject, why are you smiling." Katara asked again, still looking mopey.

"I went for a run." I said. I turned to Aang since Katara wasn't answering, "What's wrong?"

"Master poop-head won't teacher her because she's a girl." Aang grumbled and Katara flopped down onto her sleeping bag.

"Why don't you just teach her Aang." I said pulling out my sleeping bag, not really thinking about what I was saying.

"Why didn't I think of that!" Katara popped up like a dandelion.

"At night you can teach me whatever moves you learn from Master Pakku. That way you have someone to practice with and I get to learn waterbending, everyone's happy!" She continued to explain her plan.

"I'm not happy!" Sokka declared.

"But you're never happy. Come on Aang!" Katara said pulling Aang with her out the door.