Chapter 35

It was well past midnight by the time I fell asleep. Memories of my life in Briarville wouldn't shut off, and I had stayed awake missing it all. As much as I knew I was anxious to get a hold of my friends, they must be even more so not knowing how I was doing. Nancy especially was probably going crazy after not hearing from me.

I woke a few minutes before my alarm and jumped out of bed before the lure of falling back into the warmth of my bed overtook me.

Showering quickly, I blow-dried my hair until it shone and hung, straight and loose, down my back. After dressing in the clothes that I set out the night before, I sat at the vanity in my dressing room and leaned forward to glare at my reflection. I didn't know anyone, and nobody knew me. Setting my glasses aside, I opened a new package of contact lenses, a hassle I'd never bothered with before. It was stupid, but it was a change that reminded me Wickenton wasn't my home. Once in place, I sat back and smiled. All I needed was a little blush, some clear lip gloss, and mascara to hide the bags under my eyes.

Like my clothes, I'd prepared my bag the night before, and the last thing I added was the Netbook left for me on the desk. We hadn't been allowed to use them at Pederson because most students had used them during class to cruise their social media accounts. Still, I brought it. Perhaps this school wouldn't be as strict or the students as dumb. Maybe I'd be able to contact Nancy or Julian in a Facebook message or an email.

It annoyed me that I was nervous. Of course, I wanted to fit in and have friends, though not close friends who would make leaving hard. That didn't turn my stomach to knots. I was worried because students would be from families who knew my father, what he did, and his position. What would they expect of the Council Leader's daughter?

Did they know he had a daughter?

I brought everything downstairs to the dining room. Finding it vacant, I ventured through a swinging half-door to the kitchen where the cook was banging around, singing to music that played from the speakers of an old radio placed in the window above the sink. There was a small table beside the counter, and I placed my things down.

The cook turned and jumped in surprise when she saw me standing there, a low squeal escaping from her lips. When she smiled—the first genuine greeting I'd had since arriving—I liked her right away. It was impossible not to. She was a plump woman, short at five-two compared to my own five-nine. Her dark red hair hung down her back in double-plaited braids. Instead of the traditional white chef uniform and hat, she wore a comfortable blue cotton t-shirt un-tucked with a pair of faded blue jeans, sneakers and no visible jewelry.

"Morning," I said and waved. "I'm Noreena."

"Of course, you are," she said and rushed over to give me a tight hug. "I'm Mrs. Renaldi, or Cook, if you prefer."

"Mrs. Renaldi, I think. Cook doesn't sound all that flattering."

"Never thought about it, to be honest," she said and shrugged. A smile lit her face again a second later. "So, what would you like for breakfast? I hear it's a big day. Everyone needs a good, solid meal in them on their first day at a new school."

"Just toast and coffee, please." I sat at the small table.

"Oh, no, there is no coffee in the house," she tsked. "Miss Rose banned the stuff when the doctor said that she was no longer allowed to drink it. It's always made me jittery, so I don't complain."

"Are you saying that I can't have a cup of coffee? Not even instant?" I asked. I was going to be sneaking food into my suite in no time. "I can't function without coffee."

"That's right," Miss Rose said from behind me. "I shouldn't have to smell it every morning when I'm not allowed to drink it."

"If I buy you a set of nose plugs will you let me drink it here? I'm not a nice person in the morning until I get coffee."