I tramped through the arched doorway, which was framed by white columns, and into the front foyer. The inside was just as grand as the exterior, both somehow reminding me of a picture that my mother had once shown me of Mt. Olympus when she was teaching me classical mythology. The reasons for that lesson were beyond me. Why study a group of Gods if they have nothing to do with the Craft? I mean, our deal had been for me to study the Craft if she bound my abilities. Not that I was complaining. Some of the myths were romantic, which was crazy good for inspiring me to paint, and it was the one lesson I wasn't tested on.

"So, your father was the leader, too?"

"What? No, why would you think that?"

"You said the house was a perk of the job," I said. "You also said that it had been in your family for generations. I just assumed."

"You know what they say about assumptions." He swung the rest of my bags over his shoulder. "Both those statements are true. My family has always owned and lived in the house, but so has each leader."

"I don't get it."

"I'm the first leader from our family, but we own the house. Before now, the leader of the High Council and their family resided here and ran the household, and we were pretty much just their guests."

"So, it's like when a celebrity is shooting a movie—they are guests on the set and in their trailer, but their every need is attended because of their importance to production?" I shook my head. "That sucks."

"I used to think so." He smiled to show perfect teeth and I could see why my mom had fallen for him, even if he was an ass. "If I hadn't been the leader, the tradition would have been discontinued upon my inheritance."

"So, you're the leader by default? The Council didn't want to give up the use of the house?"

"No, I earned my position. I didn't gain control of the Manor until after I was appointed, so what I intended doesn't matter."

"Do you have a map to this place or am I just supposed to wing it?" I stopped myself from laughing and looked down to the floor when I realized he hadn't smiled. This sucks. Just when I was getting used to my mom's rules, I must learn new ones. The only difference is that I hoped I was a disappointment so that he'd send me home.

"No," he said. "I will introduce you to the household staff. They are at your disposal to help get yourself acquainted with the house and throughout your transition here."

Okay, so he wasn't one for jokes. Check. I had been preparing a mental list of what his likes and dislikes seemed to be, and so far, there wasn't much that I thought he was going to like about me. In theory, I knew that I shouldn't let it bother me because a parent was supposed to love their child no matter what, but he didn't fit the description. At least, not mine. I didn't see that changing any time soon.

The only commonality between Devland and mom seemed to be their penchant for ultimatums. They gave me what I wanted if they got what they desired first. Mom, at least, had more tact, but I had promised that I would try. Remembering the conversation that we'd had the morning after he'd shown up, I resolved to stick it out until I was eighteen. That had been my promise. His promise was that he would not sell my mother's house until I turned of age, at which time I could choose to sell it or live in it. I could even rent it out to tenants and become a landlord, but I knew I wouldn't do that. Not in my mother's home. I wanted a chance to go home to my real family and friends. I already missed them so much, every moment felt like a struggle to keep from breaking down.

"All set?" he asked.

Does it matter? I sucked in a deep breath and waited for the introductions to commence, which didn't take long. Miss Rose, the head housekeeper and all-around house manager, was the only one present. I had no clue what her title meant, but if she stayed away from my private space, we'd be the best of friends.

"Hello, Miss Dwyer," she said with a slight bow while her dark, beady eyes stayed glued to me like a hawk upon prey.

Okay, so maybe we weren't going to be friends.

Tingles slithered up the small of my back and I suppressed a shudder. I almost expected her to snap her beak after scrutinizing me so long, she was so eerie. She was an older, petite lady with stern features. Her hair was drawn off her severe face to pull back loose skin and secured in a tight gray top bun. No doubt she suffered from massive headaches from the pins holding it in place.

"It's nice to have you home," she said.

"It isn't Miss Dwyer," I said through clenched teeth. "It's Miss Fallyn. My being here is only temporary until I can go back to my actual home. Please do not disrespect my mother by forgetting that in the future."

"Noreena," Devland said. "Miss Rose is trying to make you feel welcome. Make no mistake, this will be your home until you are of an age that you can reclaim your last. Now, how about we continue on to your suite?"

It was like listening to two different people: one stern and uncompromising, the other nonplussed, as though the admonition hadn't occurred.

"My suite?" I asked, quiet, and rolled my eyes. "You mean bedroom."

"My goodness, no!" Miss Rose exclaimed, clapping her hands. "Mr. Dwyer made a suite up for you since he learned he had a daughter. We've all anticipated the day we'd get to meet you. I can't believe your mother—"

"Rose," Devland said before she could finish.

I waved my hand towards the stairs and sighed. "How about we get on with the show? I'm tired."