Chapter 2

"I cannot believe you found this in my closet, Nancy," I whispered. I readjusted the sarong around my waist for the tenth time as we walked the pathway to Todd's front door. The fabric did a poor job trying to hide my thighs. My midriff was on full display by the blue halter-style bikini with large white flowers. "I didn't buy this."

"Then your mom did."

Doubtful. "Are you sure you didn't get me a birthday present yesterday and not give it to me?"

"Would I do that?"

"Uh... Yes. Yes, you would." Especially since Nancy got miffed that I refused to have a birthday party. Our birthdays were seven days apart--hers on the 14th and mine on the 21st. I didn't see the point when her party was always over the top enough for the both of us.

"In my defence, a bathing suit is an appropriate June birthday present."

"You got a car."

"I'm older." She shrugged, then shoulder-bumped me, never breaking stride.

I cast my eyes to the side and couldn't figure out how she was so confident. The white cut-out she'd bought for tonight didn't have a cover up. I wasn't ashamed of my build—I loved running and knew I was in shape—but I felt... less standing next to her. She was like a lithe little ballerina while I appeared like a dancer who like to crump—more muscle than fluidity.

As we approached, as though my insecurity was obvious, a couple of guys walked by. Their eyes roamed Nancy, who was oblivious to the attention until they wolf-whistled. She smiled and waved in response, then turned to me and wiggled her eyebrows.

"This will be so much fun!"

"What?" I asked, leaning closer when the sound system stole her words as soon as the guys that passed opened the front door.

Rather than answering, Nancy rushed forward. She bowed her head to accept the lei that a lady put around her neck then waiting, bouncing on her toes as I got mine.

"Swap?" Nancy asked, sticking out her bottom lip. "Green is my favorite color."

"It's pink," I said.

"Please?"

"I hate pink."

"Please?"

I rolled my eyes and gave into the exchange. I glanced at the bright color I loathed—if it were possible to hate one—and put it around me neck. At this point, Nancy cared about the party and looked too excited for me to burst her bubble.

"Follow the string of lights to the patio." The middle-aged lady perched on a stool inside the door pointed over her shoulder. Without another word, she turned to greet another partygoer.

Nancy grabbed my hand and pulled me through the house to the back patio. As we stepped onto the deck, my senses went into overload. The smoke from the bonfire set up in the middle of the yard assaulted us. Music drummed against the earth and shoulder-to-shoulder crowds clogged the path.

Burning tiki torches littered the backyard despite the warmth from the still-shining sun. Heat waves rose from the flames, making the air feel oppressive and my skin instantly clammy.

"Ooh! Nora! Look! We should try that!" Nancy bounced on her feet and pointed to the right.

"That does not look like fun. I can't aim, remember?" I rolled my eyes at the ring toss made from hula hoops beside a paddling pool filled with drinks in ice.

"Okay. But to be fair, it's hilarious when you try. Remember soccer in fourth grade? You always hit someone in the head when it was your turn to kick the ball."