Chapter Twenty-Five

Prince Donagh had given Niamh the exact excuse she'd been looking for to get away from Gryffynhall and start her search for Dwendardien. She knew the others would say she wasn't ready, she knew she had no right to ask them to go with her, she knew they'd all try to stop her. But, she didn't care. The prince was the one who was getting her out of Gryffynhall, and she had to obey.

"They're using you as bait," Teague said slowly. It wasn't the sort of response Niamh had expected.

Niamh had asked everyone to her room that night before bed. Everyone was still in their finery, but their faces all looked ready for battle. She'd told them her conversation with the prince – minus a few details – and then told them her plan to look for Dwendardien after she'd finished in the city.

Lochlan put his head in his hands. "You're right. I don't know why I didn't see it before."

"What do you mean?" Niamh asked.

"They know Dwendardien will be looking for you. They want to find him first. It's simple logic," Molly said.

There was no venom in her voice, she didn't scowl at Niamh, nor did she seem to make any indication she felt sour about the attention Killian had been paying to Niamh at the ball. Niamh didn't know whether to sleep with one eye open, or if Molly truly didn't care.

"They can't do that, surely?" Fergus asked.

"They bloody well can," Fergal replied. Myrna sat next to him and they held hands. "They're the royals, they can do whatever in the realms they want."

"It's not right," Owen said softly.

"It doesn't matter that it's not right. It's what they're doing," Luke said.

"So, there's no inheritance?" Niamh asked, confused.

Lochlan laughed shortly. "There will be, but they could have brought it to you here. They're creating a formality so they can use you to their advantage."

"You know you don't all have to come," Niamh said, looking at each of her nine friends in turn.

"We do," Myrna said.

"Aye, we're your fiann, Niamh," Teague said.

"What is it those musketeers say? 'All for one, and one for all'." Lochlan smiled.

"It suits," Killian said.

"We're coming with you, Niamh," Molly said.

"The whole way," Owen said.

"To face Dwendardien," Fergal said.

"And die," Fergus said.

There was a pause before the room erupted in laughter at Fergus' knowing tone. Eventually, they sobered somewhat.

"When do we leave?" Molly asked.

Niamh shrugged. "Donagh didn't say. I suppose they'll tell us tomorrow?"

Myrna nodded. "I expect so." She yawned loudly.

"On that note, I think it's time for bed." Lochlan smiled.

They all filed out, wishing Niamh goodnight and reiterating their support for her. She smiled and thanked each one as they left, wondering what she had done to deserve such friends and whether this was how her parents felt.

After they had left, Niamh turned to get ready for bed and saw Killian was still sitting on a couch.

"You going to bed?" she asked softly.

"What?" he looked up at her suddenly. "Yes, I suppose I should."

"You can stay for a bit, if you'd like. I won't get to sleep for a while anyway." She smiled.