Chapter Twenty-One

When she woke in the morning, Niamh pushed all thoughts aside other than training.

She trained with Lochlan in the morning. After lunch, he had to go to Earth Magic with Myrna, so she practised what little Combat Magic she knew with the Fergs. After Earth Magic, Niamh trained with Myrna. Between training and dinner, she sat with Lochlan, Owen and Myrna while they talked about nothing Niamh paid attention to. After dinner, Niamh showered and went to bed where her sleep was plagued by unsavoury dreams once again.

Thursday dawned and her day followed the old familiar routine. The only change was she went off to Combat Magic with the Fergs, Chloe, Sophie and Fina. Bridget was even less forgiving of Niamh than usual and didn't spare a chance to throw her a withering glare or throw her in the way of someone's magic, using her as a guinea pig or a shield at every opportunity. Niamh turned up to the last period of training more bruised and bleeding than she thought she'd ever been, but determined to prove her worth.

Lochlan took one look at her, didn't ask any questions, passed her a bow and quiver of arrows, and proceeded to teach her archery. He hurried her to her room before dinner, stuck her in a hot bath – without looking anywhere he shouldn't – and got her cleaned up and covered in healing salve. He got her through dinner, keeping her vertical enough, then snuggled her up in bed not a moment before she fell asleep.

She woke up on Friday to see Lochlan lounging in a chair by her bed, fast asleep. She woke him gently and they went to breakfast on the way to training where there was only more archery, then lunch heralded a break in what felt like years to Niamh. She smiled to herself, remembering herself thinking the same thing the day before her life changed entirely. What I wouldn't do for another Maths lesson, she thought.

"Have you really not picked a dress yet?" Lochlan asked as they walked back towards their rooms.

"I have. I picked one on Tuesday," she said, looping her arm through his.

"Well, are you going to let me see it? I'll need to know what to match."

"Yes, all right. But, don't say anything if you don't like it."

He laughed. "I'm sure you'll look lovely."

"Come in then and I'll put it on."

He sat himself down on the couch. "Shall I close my eyes."

"If you like." He nodded and closed his eyes. "Actually, no. Let me do a Cinderella moment."

He laughed again, opening his eyes. "Okay."

She stepped back. "Ready?" he nodded.

She twirled around, picturing the outfit she'd chosen and a twinkling of lights spun around her. Her training clothes, surprisingly clean for once, shimmered and changed into the pale blue dress. She stopped, facing him, and waited for his response.

His response was a long while coming as he stood with his mouth wide open.

"Well? What do you think?" she asked finally.

He opened and closed his mouth a few times, laughed, then said, "You went with blue."

"Yeah. Is that okay...?"

Lochlan nodded. "Yes. Yes. It's fine. Any colour you want. And, I know exactly what to pair it with." He stared at her for a few moments longer. "You do look lovely though," he said and she heard how genuine he was by his tone.

"Thank you. Now, bugger off so I can make whatever preparations I need for tonight," she said, waving him out.

He chuckled. "All right," he replied, hands up as though surrendering. "I'll get you at half six for the ceremony? Remember, ceremony garb first, then back to put on our fancy attire?" He did a strange half-wiggle, half-dance.