Chapter-7: Three Hot Meats.

Maden

Maden

Waking up late for school is something I am accustomed to.

September rays infiltrated through the blinds, illuminating the dark room. The alarm had stopped ringing just a few minutes before.

I stayed put in my bed, trying to cuddle my way deeper into it. The September chills had started to set in. Detroit barely had its pleasant weather periods, out of a total of three-sixty-five days a year, most of them ranged from extremely hot to extremely cold.

September was sort of a transition month here, a period during which we see the transition from summer to fall, hence the chills.

It had been a week since the school started and just the like the very first day, I had no will to attend it. Considering the events of the past week, it made me even more apprehensive to attend school.

I slowly dragged my lazy self out of the bed and to the bathroom and contemplated whether to take a warm shower or a cold one. Another one the issues of September. Warm showers made me sleepy and cold showers also made me sleepy.

After five full minutes of wasting time, I decided to take a warm shower to ease my muscles as I had a hectic swimming workout later in the day.

Fifteen minutes later, I hopped down the stairs with my bag and headed to the dining table for breakfast. I poured myself a glass of orange juice that Dad must've prepared before going to one of the workshops. While sipping it, I grabbed a cheese sandwich from the casserole. The house was pretty much empty. Hannah, the help, must've taken a day off.

Finishing my breakfast, I went to the garage and took out my old car. I never really drove my Dodge everywhere, it garnered too much attention. That's why I asked Dad not to sell my old one. After making myself comfortable in the car, I drove towards the Clayden Mansion. I had promised to pick up Janet, my best friend.

Upon reaching the Mansion, the guard opened the gate and I escalated my car up on the inclined porch and honked, signalling to Janet that I've arrived. 

"Coming!" I saw her running out of the doors. Her chestnut brown hair whipped back and her cheeks were red from the little exertion. I never really got to know how she was so good at rowing, considering her lack of stamina.

"Oh! My gosh. I think, I am going to die." Janet huffed, fanning her hands around her face to prevent sweat from breaking out.

I couldn't help but observe the oversized T-shirt and torn boy shorts that she had worn. I never thought that she'd be able to wear something that I had gifted to her.

"Chick...you look different." I pointed out. Target T-shirts can never really match up to the standards of Gucci tops, but my best friend looked human in the former and a Barbie in the latter.

"Thanks to you, Syl." She turned towards me and shot her million dollar smile. Her lips shone with the nude lipstick she must've put on.

"I reckon your parents are not home considering the fact that you've worn something which doesn't scream rich."