Aidan's email: back home

{Aidan}

Turtle!

All the things that Mel ordered have started coming in. Ramps, new doors, all sorts of things. I think we know Ralph's going to be permanently disabled, though no one has said it aloud. God, it's even weird to type out. So Mel has decided that the house is getting renovated and the second it's done, we're bringing him home.

Of course, it's the dead of winter, and the ground is frozen. But if we complain of the cold, we'll find Mel out in the yard digging or swinging the sledgehammer. So we don't complain. I hate to admit it, but I'm a little sore throwing bags of concrete. We're paving all the walkways around the farm, but because of that, we're digging drainage paths so that the water doesn't pool. Keith and Mel have a plan, or so they say.

No one really talks anymore besides during daily classes. Brian asked me to teach history so he could focus on English, but I haven't said yes yet. I know that we're trying to share the weight so that we can help Mel fix the house, but I'm not sure I know how to teach history in a way that's exciting. And I don't want to be the boring teacher. Keith has been doing science experiments since he finds the strangest, coolest ones on the internet, and Casey would rather teach math.

Keith seems almost as upset as Mel does; Ralph and he were really close and though he doesn't take the phone when Mel and Ralph are chatting, I can tell that he wishes that they could talk. Though about what, I don't know. Keith's been working on new molding for the house, and other small things that are being torn up and put back in anew. I should take photos or something, so we'll have before and after. I don't know where the money is coming from. Maybe yours that you gave? Tish? Who knows.

I know that you're busy, but if you happen to have a chance to talk to Tish, could you get her email? Susie would really appreciate it; I don't think Tish wants an eleven-year-old calling her daily. Not to mention, the hunters aren't supposed to know that Tish made any friends here. Susie Lynn thinks this is stupid, but I've never presumed to know the inner workings of the hunter consciousness.

I know that you don't want to talk about your job, but you should tell me about yourself. Who's your favorite actor? What's your favorite color? Have you ever broken any bones? Don't worry; I can come up with conversation topics for you forever, because I want to know everything about you, Grant.

Much love,

Aidan

____

I have quite a few emails in this book. I kinda like using it, give us a chance to hear about the farm and what's happening there.