Part 8 - Life goes on

Start from the beginning

"Oh,thank you so much Rory! My favorite," she pulled me into a hug and kissed my cheek.

Ellie's point of view.

He smiled with a goofy grin after I thanked him for the flowers. His cheeks turned a light pink as he adjusted his glasses. I smile again looking up at him.

"Ellie there is one more thing," he admits somewhat nervous.

"What is it?" I asked curious.

"Please don't freak out,okay? I want to pay the rent of your apartment," he held his hands close together.

"You know how I feel about this,Rory. I don't want to feel guilty or depend on anyone," I sighed loud.

"I know,but I'm doing this because I care about you and I don't want you to feel guilty," he smiles sweet.

"But I'm doing fine on my own," I said looking at him.

"Yes,but you are struggling. You work yourself to death to pay your rent and for your studies," he looked genuine concerned.

"Alright,but don't make me regret it later," I placed my free hand on my hip.

Rory shortly left after giving me my present or should I say presents. I would've loved to spend time with him,but I had to work nightshift again.

Rory always said I became a nurse to help people and more specifically children. Which is why I work more closely with the children. Perhaps he is right,I don't know why I chose this occupation but the kids are a big factor.

I went to place the flowers in some water when Lauren came whistling around the corner. Seeing the flowers she smirked and came closer.

"So,how's your boyfriend doing?" She asked smug.

"Lauren,he is not my boyfriend," I gave her a serious look.

"Right and I'm the fairy godmother," she teased me,"he is crazy about you,girl."

"Is he?" I asked fiddling with a single flower petal.

She simply chuckled and gave me a hug. Lauren was one of those people who everyone loves. She was quirky and friendly and gave everyone love advise. Not to mention, somewhat crazy.

But in my two years working with her she became one of my close friends. And I trusted her. She helped me with many of my problems and gave me a shoulder to cry on.

07:00 am the following day

I arrive home,tired,as usual. My eyes are on fire and my feet are aching inside my shoes. I struggle to open the door of my apartment, dropping my keys in the process.

Ugh! After a few minutes of struggling, I manage to open the door nearly falling into my apartment. I yawn loudly making my way to my bedroom.

Walking through the small living room,I bump my knee against the coffee table. I let out a slight moan under my breath,when something caught my attention.

It was a letter. Funny thing is nobody sends letters anymore. Everything is done electronically. Sitting down on one of the couches I begin to tear at the envelope.

I manage to open it and inside I find a neatly hand written letter. But it is from an unknown person.

It reads:

Greetings,

You don't know me and this must be confusing for you. For that I apologise,dearly. Forgive me for bothering you,but all I ask is for you to read this letter. I've been searching for you my entire life and I've finally found you. And I was wondering if maybe you'd give me a chance to know you better? We could talk over coffee or something. My treat.

Love.

From Meredith.

I was too tired to think about it now and went to bed leaving the letter on the coffee table.

The following morning.

A knock at the door woke me up. It must be Rory,but what is he doing here at this time? It's so early. I lazily make my way to the door pulling it open.

"Rory if you think --"

"Hello,Elizabeth. I'm Meredith."