Teacher Appreciation Day

I'd easily been able to convince myself later that night that those so called "butterflies" and "heart palpitations" were just left over jitters from almost being caught having sex in Pj's fucking bathroom. With that excuse locked and loaded, I was able to get through the next weeks pretty well. Chris and I just had sex whenever we wanted, no pressure, no strings, no cares. Or so we told ourselves.

Today was a particularly nice day at work. All the children were well behaved, and some had even brought me presents for "Teacher Appreciation Day." Obviously some of them couldn't because about a quarter of our class couldn't speak or walk yet.

I had loved being around kids since I was young, so most of the time my job was thoroughly enjoyable. However, the past few weeks all the children had been cranky from a stomach bug that was going around. I had cleaned up so much puke, I didn't even think I could shudder at in anymore. So today was a nice change of pace as I watched the children finger paint. So far nothing had been spilled or thrown so it was a major success.

"Miss Y/N!" a small boy named Daveed came up to me showing me a picture he'd made of the class. Each person was a fingerprint and at the top were three slightly larger prints representing me, Miss Daisy, and Miss Yvette who the kids called 'Miss Y'.

"Oh Daveed," I praised, pressing a hand to my chest in aw. His smile was enough to make my heart melt, "I love it."

"You see what I did to you?" He asked, trying to make sure I noticed his attention to detail.

"You made me purple, you remembered that's my favorite color!" I exclaimed. Daveed fidgeted bashfully under my compliments.

"You have such a good memory Daveed," I smiled at him and he grinned back.

"Miss Y/N, Miss Y/N," A boy screeched from across the room. A small blonde boy with freckles covering every inch of his skin called to me. Kenny was a needy child, usually a troublemaker, but I knew his weakness. Most of the other caregivers here didn't know how I did it, but it was easy to see what the poor baby needed. He needed attention, and words of affirmation, his parents both had very high profile jobs, and hardly had anytime for him. If you gave the kid the right amount of attention, he'd stop acting out.

"Kenny!" I gasped. Kenny was already grinning toothily at me, knowing he was about to receive heaps of compliments. "Kenny it's so lovely!" Kenny especially liked when I used big words... well big for a four year old.

"Is it eleing-gant?" He questioned.

"You mean elegant?" I asked, and he nodded.

"I like that word, you said it yesterday during story time," He informed me.

"Yes Kenny, it is elegant," I assured him, patting his shoulder. I knelt down to take a closer look.

"I love the colors you used," I said tracing the lines he'd made. I wasn't lying when I said most of these things, this kid was young but I could tell he had talent. Maybe in a few years he could enroll in some more serious art classes.

"Blue and gold," He said proudly.

"Yes," I smiled. "They really complement each other."

"What does that mean?" He asked, always the curious child.

"It means they look good together," I explained.

"Mine is ugly!" I heard a wail. I rushed over to comfort Tay'Ana.

"Honey no it isn't," I said encouraging.

"If it isn't, then tell me what it is!" She proposed, pushing the picture under my nose.