Chapter 3.

Present Day. Year : 2013

“I have already decided it all, Jogi. Ishani will do B.Com if degree doesn’t matter to her much. Or B.Tech. I have heard Computer Science and Information Technology are good branches for girls. So, I will get her admission in one of those streams in any college of Surat. These days, you can find Engineering college at any corner of street.”

Rupesh Shah laughed at his own joke accompanied by Jogindar Kapoor. The duo of fathers were engaged in conversation regarding modern educational system and cracked silly, un-laughable jokes now and then, comparing their times with their children’s.

Parents! Ishani sighed, how could they throw such humorless lines and laugh at it like it’s the most hilarious thing ever! She looked across the room where Siddhartha sat with a big bowl of ice-cream. His expressions mirrored her thoughts.

It was mid-May- the hottest summer time in India as temperature reaches above 40 degree celsius. It is hard to walk outside in the daytime without feeling your skin being burnt and everyday news comes of people getting sick and admitted in hospitals from the heat-wave. “You can easily fry omelette on car roof.” Siddhartha once had joked, to which Ishani had monotonously replied, “It’s good you are looking for your career plans. You will need them if you can’t complete graduation and Thelewala suits you.” Though air conditioner set at the lowest temperature in the room, they weren’t getting any effect of the heat.

They were gathered at Jogindar Kapoor’s home for Saturday lunch which was more like a tradition by now. For years, they had taken lunch together on Saturday if no social plans came up. Ishani liked the dishes Parmeet- Mrs. Jogindar cooked. The spicy aroma filled the kitchen and watered her mouth every time she visited. Ishani was exception in her family who followed all Jain rules and being vegetarian was one of them. Ishani knew her cousins sniggered when they saw her and the clan talked how improperly she was raised, never following a single custom. But Ishani cared less as she knew no one would understand her perspective. She respected every religion but didn’t want to fall in one category and never wanted to follow rules. She did fasting on Paryushan and celebrated Ramzan with her best friend Shakira. She visited church when she felt like to do so and read Bhagavad Gita with an ease. Her parents had accepted this part even though they still found their daughter a little eccentric. At least her mom did. Rupesh Shah still knew less stories about her as his traditional values sometimes prevented him from accepting a little change like this. But even though he didn’t like it, he let his daughter had her own mind.

This was something Siddhartha admired secretly about her.

Ishani and Siddhartha’s 12h standard exam had completed in March and the result was about to get announced. The results and career plans were the hot topics for parents now-a-days. They talked endlessly about it, even though none of their children participated in it. Siddhartha had already declared in which course he was going; but Ishani ignored the question all the time.

“Engineering is good. And what after that? MBA and joining you in business?” Jogindar inquired

“Exactly. She will get trained if she lives in Surat.” Rupesh said matter-of-factly. He had big plans for her daughter and one of them were seeing her in place of him in the company.

“Have you asked Ishani what she wants to do?” Jogindar pushed himself further in the sofa.