♧Chapter 1 : Looking for a sign♧

Chapter 1: Looking for a sign

"Life never goes according to plan as it tends to amaze and disappoint us at every turn."

Hannah Charles

As soon as I woke up, I dragged my still-sleepy body to the bathroom, ignoring Alex's presence. I closed the door behind me, taking deep breaths while leaning over the vanity sink. When I finally lifted the handle of the faucet, I proceeded to splash my sweaty face, my senses shocking awake from the coldness of the water.

Today was the first time I dreamt about Alex, my childhood best friend and my current roomie. Alex meant the world to me, he was like the brother I never had, but the dream had polluted my thoughts about him. Kissing him felt so real, hell even my body reacted. Now, how was I supposed to face him? I should definitely stop watching these dramatic Telenovelas.

I peeked out of the bathroom and scanned my room. Great, Alex went back to his room. I quickly took my towel that was resting over my old willow chair and tip-toed back to the bathroom. After showering, I dressed as quickly as I could. I needed to avoid Alex; I still wasn't sure how to face him after the dreamy kiss. His lips on my lips, his tongue demanding my attention... God, I should stop thinking about him and the kiss. I will seriously get in trouble with my heart.

Dressed in my old grey skinny jeans paired with my comfortable black round neck long sleeve t-shirt, I strode out of the apartment. I stopped at the doorway; took a quick glance at Alex who was in the kitchen, getting himself a cup of coffee and another cup which was evidently for me. Luckily, he was wearing a white tee not just a pair of boxers. I wasn't sure how I would react if he didn't wear his top -his washboard abs. Freaking tarts!

"Bye Al." I said before leaving.

"Wait, where do you think you're going?" Alex demanded with a frown on his face.

Dang! Thanks for the good distance between us; he couldn't catch me if I leave.

"I have a job interview. Bye, papanana. Will talk to you later, ok?" I ended the conversation before he had a chance to interrogate me about the lie I just told him.

I know, weird name right? I can't seem to come up with one that would rhythm with Alex. Papanana is silly but it rhymes with banana and my comeback at him for naming me after minions.

Feeling guilty, I made my way out. I took the Honda out of the carpark and drove straight to the Upper East Side of New York. We lived in a medium-sized apartment in Manhattan. It took me only a few minutes to get there. I spotted an old café by the roadside. I parked the car and marched my way in.

"Good morning, miss," said the tall, thin waitress that looked like Miley Cyrus except with black hair and a hoarse voice. "Ready to order some breakfast?"

Scanning the menu, I replied, "Yes, I'll have a cinnamon bagel with your regular cup of black coffee, please."

"Is that all, miss?"

"Yes, that's it."

"That would be $4."

I handed her the bills. The waitress prepared my breakfast; she placed the bagel on a plate and poured the coffee in a regular size cup. She then handed me the tray. I took it from her and walked over to sit next to the window.

I gazed out through the big, dusty glass window while eating my cinnamon bagel. I was lost in my own dull thoughts- thinking of getting a job to stop burdening Alex. He had his life figured out, working for his dad's company and all, but not me. Life in New York hadn't been easy. I have been depending on Alex for everything and I hated it. He was sweet to say that he didn't mind taking care of me. He was always there for me when I needed him the most, so that was why I was thinking of getting a job to finally come out of my shell.