Chapter Eleven

11

The next few days were a blur. After that night I decided to put all my effort into my classes and on being a "good student". The routine was simple: Wake up, sit through my classes like a good little convict, eat my meals and chat with friends and then I'd go back to my room, pop my pills and head to bed.

Sleeping, something that used to seem so scary and hard to do, become almost stupidly easy. After I swallowed down my meds it wasn't long before I could hardly keep my eyes open. Before the hour was up I would pass out in bed and I wouldn't wake up until morning. Sure, I was kinda drowsy during breakfast and my first few classes, but by afternoon I was right as rain. And since I started taking the pills there had been no more dreams of Sirus creeping in through my window. He remained where he always was, crouched on top of the fountain in the courtyard, encased in a layer of cement.

So, that was a plus.

My routine was interrupted however when Daren caught me after sixth period. Once I was out the door, ready to head back to the dorm and take a shower, Daren grabbed ahold of my shoulder and dragged me around the nearest corner, away from prying eyes.

I shoved him away with a snarl. "What do you think you're doing?"

"You haven't been going to the nurse's office lately, have you?"

The nurse's office...

With a glare, I tried shoving past the boy. My endeavor proved fruitless, however when he simply used the hand that was already on my shoulder and pushed me back. A dull ache shot through my spine as it collided with the hard wall.

He glared right back. "Are you listening?" he demanded. "I warned you not to go. I told you it was-" 

"-That it was dangerous. Yeah, I get it. No, I haven't gone. Now move."

If at all possible, his gaze only seemed to harden until I was afraid the intensity of it would burn holes into my skull. "The only reason I even bothered to warn you was because you and your friends helped out my sister during visitation and she likes you. But fine. Whatever. Do what you want." Releasing his grip from my shoulder he stepped back and I was finally able to move past him.

Without bothering to look back at the angry blond, I turned the corner and headed down the stairway, shoving my way through the small crowd of teens until I had made it outside. Cold air filled my lungs as I struggled to take deep, calming breaths. The heat that had previously plagued Day Lightens for the last couple of weeks had passed, replaced by a welcome chill. Dark clouds hung heavy overhead, lining the sky in a sheet of grey. The sun was finally gone.

Just like Lucas.

Of all things why did he have to bring that up?

Ever since the bonfire, I had steered clear of the nurse's office. Maybe if I could just avoid his replacement I could pretend that Lucas was still here a bit longer, sitting in his little office and flipping through his notes, that adorable smile on his face. He just had to bring him up. The fucking bastard.

When I got back to my room I tossed my bag onto my chair and changed into my robe. The last couple of days have been long ones and I was ready to scrub all that stress away. Peeling off my shoes, I slipped into a pair of slippers, grabbed my shower caddy and headed to the showers at the end of the hall. Inside was divided into two areas: the bathrooms and then the showers.

The moment I opened one of the heavy double doors to step inside I was flooded by the familiar rush of hot, humid air and the sound of girls chatting. The scent of vanilla, strawberries, and ocean mist body washes and shampoo invaded my nose, and though the smell was strong, it wasn't all around unpleasant.