Plans

2016- Toronto Canada Cricket Club

The sun had just started its ascent, casting a beautiful glow through the windows of the nearly empty ice skating rink.

At this early hour, Isabella was usually still under the warmth of her bed sheets, sleeping.  Or, she was fighting back the dread in her belly as she prepared for work. 

But not today.

For the first time in years, Isabella was doing something she had not planned.  

Instead of being at home or even in the small suburb of Boston, she stood inside a vast sports complex in Toronto, Canada.

Tracy Wilson observed the young woman before her, who appeared visibly enamored by the Cricket Club's ice rink.  At twenty-two years old, Isabella Lawson appeared youthful, but was already considered mature for this sport. Nevertheless, the coach couldn't overlook the talent she, along with many others, had witnessed in that viral video.

"Coach Orser should be here soon."

"I see," Isabella whispered, feeling small in the large space.

No more than a minute later, the man of the hour arrived.

"You must be Isabella Lawson," Brian Orser's voice was kind as he extended his hand for Isabella to shake. 

She took it, her face turning a deep shade of red.  Sure, she had been nervous to meet Tracy, but in her eyes, this man was a legend.  She could remember watching him on the television, before she fully understood the rules of the sport.  He was one of the reasons she had begged her parents to get her lessons as a child.  He was what prompted the dream, that she had long since pushed away as a fairy-tale.

Apparently she had been staring at him for too long.

He gave her an awkward, yet kind smile.

"I'm sorry," Isabella stuttered.  "It's just that when I was younger I would watch videos of you both perform.  I didn't think I would ever get the chance to meet you."

Both of the coaches smiled.

"Thank you," Brian smiled. "You do know why we wanted you to come here, correct?"

Isabella pursed her lips together, her eyes darting to the ground as she wrangled her hands together in front of her.

She knew what she had been told on the phone, the reasons they requested her presence.  However, that didn't make this situation any more believable.  

"You said you were interested in my skating.  That you wanted to train me," she paused, embarrassed.  "It is a bit hard to believe.  I haven't taken formal lessons in years.  And... I am quite old."

Really, the more she thought about it, the more the thought that they were interested in her skating seemed ludicrous.

"Although I used to compete and still skate every day, it really has been more of a hobby for me,"  Isabella started to ramble.  "I know you saw that video,  but really... what I do is just play around."

A silence fell between them when her words stopped.

Until a devious chuckle broke it. 

"You land quads when you play around?" A voice with a Spanish accent spoke.

Isabella's head darted in the direction of the newcomer.

Of course she knew who this was as well.  Javier Fernandez.  One of the actively competing skaters she enjoyed watching most.  Her eyes quickly took in his handsome features as he walked up to the trio.