Timing

Author's Note: If anyone is reading this I hope you enjoy it! I love reading comments and seeing your votes. It really gives me motivation to continue. :)

_________

USA

Jacob had every intention of telling Isabella his feelings, tonight.

They had spent a glorious week together, Jacob going to meet Isabella, as she prepared for her competition in the states. Now, that the competition was over, their time together was coming to an end.

Sharing his feelings had been a long time coming. Over the course of the last decade, he had thought of 101 ways to confess to Isabella- none of which ever felt right or sufficient. Time after time, his cowardice prevailed, and the confession remained stuck in his throat.

Before Isabella left for Canada, he had always figured he would have time to tell her. He had never even considered that she wouldn't be around every day, down the street from his house. Even when she went to university, they had remained inseparable.

When she left to pursue her dream, he realized that he had taken their time together for granted. She left so quickly, that it felt like she had been stolen away from him. It made him realize that if he didn't confess soon, his chance might slip away forever.

Jacob tapped his shoe on the hotel lobby floor, where they both were staying, as he waited for Isabella to return after the competition.

He was resolute.

Tonight would be the night he told her, regardless of how good or bad the timing was.

When she came into sight, Isabella looked more tired than he had ever seen her. He had expected her to meet him with excited energy, ready to spend their last night together and celebrate her spectacular performance. However, after a moment's study, he knew something was wrong. Her eyes were downcast to the ground, her lips in a stiff line, and she appeared more fatigued than he had ever seen her.

She looked terrible.

"Bella," he called, drawing her attention as she dredged into the lobby, bag in her hand.

Isabella didn't respond. Instead, she gave him a weak smile and continued to walk deeper into the hotel, entering an elevator. She needed to get out of this busy lobby as quickly as possible, before she broke down.

In the small space, Jacob spoke softly, "Your entire free-skate program- it was...well, stunning."

He was met with silence as they walked out of the elevator, Isabella leading the way down an empty hallway, to her room.

"Isabella."

Silence.

"Isabella, look at me," his hand came up to rest on her shoulder.

She stopped, but did not turn around.

He was about to say her name again, when he noticed the subtle movement of her shoulders, shaking. It confirmed what he already knew- that Isabella was indeed not okay. Right now, she was crying.

Her bag fell to the floor as his arms wrapped around her center, cradling her from behind.

"I have you," he murmured into her neck.

As if his comforting action was a tipping point, the dam of Isabella's emotions burst. In one singular moment, she turned around in his arms, wrapped her own around his neck, and pressed her face firmly into his chest. And then, she sobbed.

Jacob should have seen this coming.

He knew why Isabella had wanted to do well in the competition, even though she had not told him. Jacob was well aware of the dreams Isabella and her sister had throughout childhood. He had spent many hours skating with both of them in his grandfather's arena. Jacob knew, even if Isabella had not admitted it, part of her reason for returning to the ice was because of her sister. Perhaps, if he hadn't been so consumed by his own desires, he would have recognized how Isabella would feel after this competition.