Ch.9 - Shock

Teachers were now pushing us as NEWTS drew closer. Every night for the past week I’ve been in the library late of night. It has been a month since I’ve ‘talked’ to Sirius. I miss him so much, but I hate him for what he did.

I nibbled at my toast. A screech came from above and owls swooped into the Great Hall.

An owl flew to me with a white envelope with the Ministry seal.

“No, no, no” I breathed crossing my fingers.

I opened the letter and what I saw made my heart break even more.

Dear Miss Katie Axel,

We regretfully inform you that your mother Ms Ellen Axel has been found dead at your home yesterday at 6:02pm.

We are very sorry that your mother became a victim to these killings.

Hoping you are well,

Ministry of Magic.’

My mind buzzed, how dare they say ‘hoping you are well!’

“Katie?” Sirius asked obviously detecting my horror.

For once in the past month I didn’t glare at him.

“My mom’s dead.” I said blankly.

I stood up grasping the letter in my hands and ran out the door fighting back tears.

“Katie! Come back!” Lily called running after me.

I directed myself to Professor Dumbledore’s office. I came to the gargoyle in front of his office.

“Password.” It croaked.

I groaned, good thing I know Dumbledore was a fan of sweets.

“Chocolate Frog, Acid Pops, Toffee, Jellybeans.”

It stepped aside as I guessed the word jellybeans. I ran up the steps and knocked on the door.

“Come in.”

I opened the door and saw Professor Dumbledore sitting behind his desk.

“Ah, Miss Axel.” He said his voice was not like usual, he must know.

“Sorry Professor Dumbledore for bothering you-”

“You are not a bother. Please sit” He interrupted gesturing his hand towards a seat. I walked over but did not sit.

I continued, “This morning, I received a letter informing me of my-” my voice cracked “my mother’s death. Do you know if it is correct?”

Dumbledore sighed, “Unfortunately it is Katie.”

“Oh.” I sunk into the seat and let the tears flow.

“Katie, I’m very sorry.” Dumbledore comforted. “Is there anyone I can get for you?”

My mind instantly thought Sirius; he used to always be there to comfort me when I was upset.

Before I knew it my lip had spoken for me, “Sirius.” I croaked.

Dumbledore nodded and left the room.

I waited, just staring at my feet.

“Katie?” A voice came from behind me five minutes later.

I turned to see Sirius standing there.

“Katie.” He stepped closer and I rushed into his arms.

He stroked my hair soothingly.

“She’s…gone.” I sobbed into his shoulder.

“It’s going to be ok.” He whispered into my ear.

I clutched his neck tighter and buried my face into his shoulder.

“I love you.” I mumbled.

“I love you too.”

I looked up at him; I leant forwards and kissed him softly on his cheek,

“Thank you.”

He wiped my tears away softly with his thumb and then put a hand in his pocket and pulled out the silver necklace he had given me for Christmas.

“I believe this is yours.” He said holding it out.

I nodded silently.

“Thank you.” I said again quietly.

He draped it over my neck and clipped it up at the back.

I turned around and hugged him tightly again. More tears streamed down my cheeks,

“I believe you.” I whispered.

He kissed my forehead and wrapped his arm around my waist.

“Let’s skip class today; we’ll go to the Common room.” He suggested walking me out Dumbledore’s office.

I hardly saw where I was going; Sirius just guided me to the Common Room.

“Can we go up to your dormitory?” I asked.

Sirius nodded; for once there was no joking in his expression.

I walked up to his dormitory and lay on his bed. He lay next to me and I cuddled into his chest. He stroked my hair and caressed my cheek.

“It’s going to be ok.” He repeated.

I nodded, “I hope so.”

~O~O~O~

We lay in his dormitory for hours until James walked in.

“Sorry to hear Katie. Remember we’re all here for you.” He said putting his stuff on his bed.

“Thank you James.” I barely whispered.

“I’m really sorry, but Dumbledore wants to see you, Padfoot, me, Moony, Lily, Wormtail and a few others in his office.” He said and with that he left.

I sat up slowly and sighed.

“Are you sure you’re ok to go?” Sirius asked.

I nodded wiping my puffy red eyes.

“I’m sure.”

Sirius held my hand and walked out the boy’s dormitories with me at his side.

We walked to Dumbledore’s office in silence.

The door was open for us to walk in.

Lily, James, Peter, Remus, Alice, Marlene and Frank Longbottom sat in front his desk.

Lily rushed forwards as she saw me and hugged me tightly, “We’re here for you.” She whispered and then retreated to her seat. There were two seats left for Sirius and I.

“Excellent. Now that you’re all here I would like to offer you something.” Dumbledore began.

“As a few of you may have heard, I have formed an organization called the Order of the Phoenix. It is a club to fight Voldemort’s army. I am offering all of you a place. I have seen you study hard and you are all exceptional students.”

I smiled for the first time in hours, “I’m in.” I want to find the Death Eaters who killed my mother and kill them.

“Thank you Katie”

“Me too.” Sirius added.

“Thank you Sirius.”

Sirius looked shocked that Dumbledore had used his first name.

All the others began agreeing too.

“Thank you for joining. Officially you will be helping us once you have graduation. I would like you all to call be Albus though. In a few months’ time I will no longer be your headmaster, but your colleague and friend.”

We all nodded.

 ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Disclaimer: I only own Katie Axel and a few other charaters...everything else belongs to the wonderful, talented J.K. ROWLING.

Please comment, vote, add to your reading list....subscribe...etc.