Ch.3 - The Lion's Throat

I kicked the fresh autumn leaves under my feet. There was the November chill in the air, which told us all that winter was on her way.

“Katie! KATIE!”

I turned around to see James running towards me.

“James!” I braced myself for the impact.

He ran right into me and scooped me into a bear hug.

“James Potter! Put me down, NOW!” I laughed struggling.

He put me on the ground and let go once I was steady.

“She said yes.” He breathed.

I looked at him puzzled, “Who?”

“Who? Lily Evans of course! Who else?”

I stared at him, shocked, “Lily? She said yes?”

James nodded.

“CONGRATS PRONGS!” I leapt forward and gave him a hug.

“Yes! I won the bet! I won the bet.” I chanted dancing up and down in my own celebrant dance.

“What bet?” James asked, his eyebrows were raised.

I blushed, “Oh um, I bet with Sirius and Remus that she would say yes before Christmas break. Sirius bet after and Remus bet Graduation.”

James grinned, “How much do they owe you?”

“Five Galleons…each.” I high fived James.

~O~O~O~

I walked through the portrait hole and into the Common Room. Students were studying, chatting and playing games.

I spotted Sirius, Remus, Peter, James and Lily sitting by the fire.

I walked over and pulled Remus and Sirius’s hair so they were looking at me upside down, “Cough it up suckers!” I laughed releasing them and walking over to sit on the floor.

“Yeah, Bambi, about that…” Sirius rustled his hair chuckling hesitantly.

“Remus and I don’t exactly have five galleons.” Sirius confessed.

I rolled my eyes, “Fine you don’t have to pay it to me now, later in the future though, you owe me.”

“But Bamb-” Sirius started but I cut him off.

“No buts Paddy.” I lay down and rested my arms behind my head. I closed my eyes.

“She’ll kill you Sirius.” I heard Lily whisper five minutes later. Quietly I felt for my wand and grasped my hand around it.

I peeked through my eyelashes to see Sirius holding a bucket of water above my head.

Just as he was about to pour it, I whispered “Converterent.”

All the water in the bucket flushed upwards into Sirius’s face causing him to splutter.

Remus, Lily, James and I roared with laughter while Sirius scowled.

“I. Am. So. Going. To. Get. You.” Sirius warned, his mischievous grin reappearing.

I jumped to my feet and sprinted towards the portrait, “Save me some dinner!” I called over my shoulder to the other three.

Sirius chased me down the Grand Staircase until I darted into a nearby classroom and locked the door hoping Sirius would run past.

Unfortunately he saw me, “Alohomora” I heard him say and the door clicked open.