Chapter Twenty-Three: The Flood

There was an intense feeling about the atmosphere. Even more so when the creature began to creep out of the wardrobe.

The officers could sense it. The thing in front of them-it was hungry.

Without breaking his gaze on the creature, Janssen forced himself to speak. "Run." He said to his partner.

No one moved.

The creature began to make a deep, throaty, trembling, growl-like sound as it slowly opened its mouth, displaying its teeth. At the same time, it stretched itself upward as tall as it could. It was within a meter of officer Janssen.

There was a moment of what seemed like utter silence, before Janssen turned his head to Sloan and shouted, "Ru-".

The creature thrust itself upon the policeman.

The sudden outburst frightened Sloan, who threw himself backward against the wall near the bedroom door.

Unblinking, unable to look away, Sloan was frozen with fear. He could do nothing to stop himself from watching the creature sink its teeth into his partner's neck.

It huffed, and snorted, and slurped as it gorged itself, making sounds of satisfaction.

Still clinging to life, Janssen coughed and spattered, choking on his own blood.

Sloan's legs shook and turned to jelly. He slid down the wall to the floor. His eyes watered, and he was barely able to breath.

Then, to his left, he heard a sound. He slowly turned his gaze to the wardrobe.

More monstrous creatures began to flood out of the blanket. All different shapes and sizes, the epitome of Sadie's nightmares.

Their bodies were all black skinned and twisted. All with the same big, black, gleaming eyes and mouths that stretched over huge, needle-like teeth.

They had smelled the fresh blood and sensed the darkness outside the blanket. The scent of all that blood and decay from Patricia had already attracted them, but they were waiting. Waiting for darkness to come.

The creatures rushed over to Janssen and began to tear him to pieces in a frenzy. Feasting on his flesh before he had even lost consciousness. Soon, a dozen monstrous nightmares were all giddily whooping and slurping as they devoured the policeman's steaming flesh.

Sloan couldn't stop himself from an involuntary bodily purge. His trousers became moist and warm.

He could only pray that they hadn't seen him yet.