xxiv. SCOTT MCCOCKBLOCK

Start from the beginning

  "So you didn't bother to tell us that the Argents think Jackson's the second beta because?" I asked Scott.

  I was currently in the backseat of the jeep—as per usual—holding the two headrests in front of me. I had wedged my body between the two seats as Stiles began flooring it for the school.

  "I don't know!" Scott exclaimed. "All I know is that Kate seems to think that Jackson's the beta. She saw the scratch on his neck last night."

  "Can a werewolf even be turned by a scratch?" Stiles asked, driving right through a stop sign. God, his dad would kill him if he saw that.

  Scott shrugged. "Allison's dad seems to think so."

  Stiles turned into the parking lot where Jackson's familiar Porsche was parked. A little ways away was the same SUV I had seen outside of Allison's house before. Meaning that Mr. Argent was here.

  And sure enough the two of them were bent over the back of the Porsche.

  "Damn it," I muttered.

  Stiles tires squealed as he slammed on the breaks near them. I flew into the backseat, my head banging off the back.

  I groaned. "Nice driving, Stiles," I muttered sarcastically.

  He shot me an apologetic glance as Scott rolled down the window.

  "Sup?" Stiles called to them. I leaned forward, popping my head between the seats.

  Mr. Argent didn't look so pleased, whereas Jackson never looked happier to see the three of us in his life.

  "Hi, Jackson," I called happily. "Mr. Argent."

  "Everything okay?" Scott asked.

  Mr. Argent put on a fake smile, his bright teeth glinting in the sunlight. "Hi Scott, Carson. Your friend here was just having some car trouble. We're just taking a look."

  "Uh huh," I said with faux surprise.

  Scott nodded to Jackson. "There's a shop right down the street. I'm sure they have a tow truck."

  "Yeah, you want a ride?" Stiles asked.

  Scott flung the door open, preparing to get out. Great, now I was going to have to share the backseat. Just lovely.

  "Yeah, come on Jackson," I called, motioning my hands in a 'come hither' sort of way.

  Stiles smiled. "You're way too pretty to be out here all by yourself."

  Jackson gulped and nodded, practically running towards us. Scott began getting out. Mr. Argent took another look in Jackson's car and looked like he took something out.

  "Hey boys—and Carson," he called to us. He walked to the front, opened the door and started Jackson's engine. It roared to life without an issue. He shot us a dangerous looking smile. "Told you I knew something about cars."

  We didn't say a word as he made his way over to his SUV. He got in, turned on the ignition and peeled out of the lot. I quickly slipped through the seats and hopped out. Stiles got out of his side and came around to where the rest of us were.

  "What are you following me now?" Jackson accused as the red car pulled out of sight.

  Scott slammed the door angrily right as I got out of the way. I jumped back, crashing into Stiles. He steadied me as Scott began ranting.

  "Yes! Because you're such a freaking idiot! You almost gave everything away right there!"

  Jackson faltered but none the less shot back a, '"What the hell are you talking about?"