ii. Anything Can Happen

❀ ❀ ❀ ❀ ❀ ❀

❀ ❀ ❀ ❀ ❀ ❀

Two Anything Can Happen

❀ ❀ ❀ ❀ ❀ ❀

          The next morning, I woke up with a killer headache.

          It seemed to crash into me the second that my eyes flickered open, pain resonating throughout my skull. Honestly, there was probably a high chance that I had some sort of minor concussion and I was fairly certain that you weren't supposed to sleep right after hitting your head off anything, let alone a tree stump, but clearly I hadn't cared about that last night.

          Scott and I had made it back to town in the early hours of the morning, having been forced to walk all the way home seeing as Stiles couldn't drive us home without his father figuring out that we were in the preserve with him. The two of us even had almost gotten hit by an SUV while walking down the sides of the street, which had been quite possibly the least shocking thing to happen to us last night.

          We had found a fucking dead body and it was utterly horrifying. The girl's face seemed to be imprinted into my brain, not allowing me to forget the fact that, once again, we had found a dead body ... well, half of it. Then there had been that really weird stampede of deer that almost killed us, followed by the fact that Scott had been bitten by some sort of animal.

          I groaned as images from last night began penetrating my mind. It was like they were all flying around the inside of my head, each one vying for attention. And when each one pinged around the expanses of my mind, each trying to put itself at the forefront, it seemed like the ache in my head only got worse. I groaned again, this time a little louder as I brought a hand up to clutch my forehead.

          "Note to self," I muttered to myself. "Never accept Stiles and Scott's invitation to go body hunting."

          I rolled over onto my side gently to look at my clock, seeing that I had an hour and a half to get ready and make it to school. Another groan wanted to escape my lips as that registered with me, but I settled for sighing as I began pushing my body upwards. Still clutching my forehead, I swung my legs over the edge of my bed, sitting up. Standing, I took one last lingering look at the warmth of my bed before walking out of my room, padding into and the hallway. Even though the pain made everything seem to throb, I was grateful that my vision wasn't blurred or anything, allowing me to make it to the bathroom without tripping over myself, which was a good start.

          I shut the door behind me, not wasting a second before I reached into the shower and turned the handle to allow the water to begin raining down from the spout. I began stripping down and chucking my pajamas into the small hamper bin that was in the room. The sound of the water cascading down was soothing and I didn't even bother to check if the water was warm before stepping in. Instantly, I began my shower routine as more parts of last night seemed to creep into my conscious.