i. Where It All Begins

❀ ❀ ❀ ❀ ❀ ❀

❀ ❀ ❀ ❀ ❀ ❀

One Where It All Begins

❀ ❀ ❀ ❀ ❀ ❀

          "No! You can't just do that to me!"

          My legs were crossed in the air as I laid stomach down on my bed. My head was positioned at the end and I was prepared to hurl myself to the floor at what I had just read. Propping the book in front of my face, my eyes scanned across the last few lines of the chapter, only to realize that no matter how hard I glared at the sentences, they weren't going to change for the better.

          Within seconds, I had hurled the book across the room. It landed with a thud, but I barely noticed the sound as I let out an exasperated sigh. I rolled over onto my back, eyes glaring up at the ceiling as I steamed with rage at the author of the novel I had been reading. The entire premise had started off adorable and the two main characters were clearly meant to be. While the back of the book suggested a somber, possibly tragic ending, I had put faith in the author that they wouldn't ruin such a wonderful story. I was midway through, finishing up a chapter when the grave realization of the proposed tragedy was actually going to occur. The characters had been hit with a horrible plot twist, one that would probably end up destroying any shred of romance that had previously been instated. The horrid end was simply staring me back in the face.

          I sighed again, this time with the knowledge that I wouldn't be able to stay away from the story for too long. Even though I had enough rage in my heart to wipe out an entire continent, I just had to know if my worst fears were going to meet by the last few lines of the story. Groaning, I rolled off the bed, easily getting to my feet and making my way across the room towards the book. I plucked it off the ground, beginning to flip through the first few chapters to my last place before I heard something.

          Tap.

          I froze where I stood, the pages halting between my fingers mid-flip. My brow furrowed at the sound, which sounded like it had come from downstairs. It was deadly silent in the moments that followed, leading me to believe that I had just heard something. Shrugging to myself, I began to flip the pages of the novel again.

          Tap. Tap.

          There it was again. At the sound of the last two taps, I was certain it was coming from the first floor of my house. My bedroom was right above the kitchen and it sounded like someone was walking around and bumping into things. I gulped, trying to run through a list of excuses to myself about what it could be. However, I came up short, nothing coming to mind. I was up here and my dad wasn't supposed to be back from his business trip for at least another two days at the most. Hell, it could even go on for longer, knowing how the man liked to stay as far away from this house as possible.