Objectification

On Monday I was stopped at uni, by someone stepping out infront of me as I was walking out of the cafe. Him and his mates watched me as I walked into the cafe, ordered my food, then came back out. One of them stepped out infront of me and noticeably looked me up and down twice before I stepped around him. I could feel them all watching me as I ate my lunch and as they left.

On Tuesday I was at work and had a customer come in. He complained that the music was pedo music and asked for us to turn it off. We couldn't because it was the radio - and the song wasn't pedophilic. He stated "it's about touching." Later when I put his purchase through, he satated as I gave him back his change "This pedo music makes me want to go touch young girls and make them cum." I was so disturbed that I cried and had to go sit in the office to calm down.

Today, Wednesday, I went to uni and back. I was cat-called at the station twice. One was a drawl of "hey sexy." The other was a mutter of "what I would do to you." Both made me want to hide.  And now as I walk home, I've been cat-called from cars twice more.

I understand completely now why there is such a strong stance against the objectification and for equality for women. Not once was I wearing revealing clothing. Sure I wore jeans. Sure I wore a singlet one day. But that didn't call for this behaviour. These past three days have made me feel vulnerable, sickened and scared. That is no way a person should be treated.