xviii. MOLOTOV COCKTAILS

Start from the beginning

  We burst through the double doors, Allison coming in from the other side.

  "What are you doing here?" Scott asked. "Why did you come?"

  "Because you asked me to," she responded, like it was obvious.

  I raised an eyebrow. "Because he asked you to?"

  She held up her phone, flashing a text.

FROM: UNKNOWN
Meet me at the school. URGENT. – Scott

  A text that Scott didn't send.

  "Why am I getting the feeling you didn't send this?" she questioned.

  "Because I didn't."

  "Okay," Stiles cut in. "Did you drive here?"

  "No, Jackson did."

  I groaned. "Jackson's here too?"

  "And Lydia," she told me. "What's going on? Who sent this text?"

  Her phone began ringing. Tapping the screen, she answered. "Where are you?"

  As if on cue, Lydia and Jackson burst through the door.

  "Finally," Lydia sighed in relief. "Can we go now?" Allison nodded.

  A bump was heard above us. Slowly, we all looked upwards. The Alpha was up there. A warm hand curled around mine.

  I looked down, seeing Stiles grasping my hand for dear life. Scott, Stiles and I exchanged a look.

  "Run!" Scott yelled.

  No one questioned him as we began racing in the other direction. From behind us, a crash was heard; no doubt the Alpha breaking through the ceiling. This would be fun to explain later. We bolted up the stairs and down the hall, sprinting with all our might. It was a good thing I wore sneakers today.

  We burst into the cafeteria, Scott locking the door shut.

  "Help me get this in front of the door," Scott told Jackson. The two began pushing a giant cooler towards the door.

  "Wait, Scott, not here," I heard Stiles say.

  "What was that?" Allison asked.

  "Why was it in the ceiling?" Lydia followed, sounding on the verge of hysterics.

  "Just help me!" Scott groaned. "The chairs. Stack the chairs."

  "Guys! If you could just wait a second," Stiles told us as I moved to go help. His hand encircled my upper arm, yanking me back. Without a word, he pointed to the thing that had been holding his attention for the past minute.

  The alarming number of windows in the room.

  "You listen to me," Stiles tried again. "Wait."

  No one listened, just stacked more chairs.

  "Can we just wait a second? Guys? Stiles talking!" he tried again. But it was no use.

  Sighing, I put two fingers in my mouth and blew. A loud shrill whistle came out. They all stopped. Stiles nodded at me, silently thanking me.

  "Okay, nice work," he told them sarcastically. "Really beautiful job everyone. Now, what do we do about the twenty foot wall of windows?"

  "Can someone please explain what's going on here? Because I'm really freaking out and I would like to know why." Allison had claimed a grip on Scott's jacket, urging him to say something. "Scott?"