A New Beginning

-Flashback-

I was brutally kicked in the gut as my wake-up call. I dreaded these days, these days always left me with guilt, sadness, and emptiness. Sometimes I wish I would just allow myself to die, but that wasn't going to happen. I promised myself I would make it, that I would fight until the end and live until the day he released me.

"Saphyre I hope you can please me once again with your profound abilities. I have taught you well and I'm glad you have survived this long. You will be fighting against Daisy, I hope she isn't too much of a fight for you, she is quite good," he smirked evilly before walking off.

I wanted to rip his throat out! Why must he always pair me with someone that I become friends with? Oh right, because he is afraid I might create a rebellion against him, which is kind of hard when I'm stuck in a cage! Suddenly the back of my little dog cage opened, signaling it was time to enter the arena. I stared at the open cage and dreaded the events that were about to take place. I crawled through and watched the door close behind me, a chill rushing down my spine. I climbed down a flight of rusty stairs before I came upon another door. I sighed, loving the fact I was able to stretch my back after being hunched over all the time. The door in front of me was covered in claw marks and splattered blood from those who resisted to enter. I waited for the announcement that would give me permission to enter the arena.

"Well hello my gorgeous females, we have an exceptional fight going on tonight. You might be a little disappointed at the end, but I know I will be ecstatic! Our two opponents happen to be friends... Please welcome Daisy, our beloved flower, and Saphyre, our beloved emerald." 

His voice was so glib a shiver went down my spine. My door opened and I walked into the dimly lit arena, well more like a small room bordered with silver plates about ten feet high. There were dog cages that surrounded the arena above the plates. There were about three stories worth of cages and inside each was another girl, except a few that were empty, they didn't survive the night. They all looked down on us and stared back and forth between each other, tears in some eyes, and emptiness in others. This was what we all dreaded. 

Daisy looked at me terrified, she knew how good I was and that this was going to be her death. I had already won ten battles in the little over a month I had been here, most would already be dead. I was supposed to have only been in five or six, one fight per week, but he had a particular liking to me. Not that winning got me any special treatment, if anything I got treated worse. This asshole favored me, watching me at every second to make sure I wasn't doing anything bad, making it impossible to get away with anything. I wished I was pathetic and weak like most of the girls here, the ones who would die in their first battle, but I had too much pride.  

"Shake hands," he ordered. I hated how he thought this was a game. He kidnapped, tortured, and watched all these girls fight to the death all for fun. I mean nothing else screams psychopath more than him. I walked up to Daisy and shook her hand and whispered a slight sorry. She shook her head, denying my apology and giving me a death stare. She had hope, that was a first.

"You may begin!" He yelled excitedly, throwing his hands up. 

I stripped off the torn and dirt-filled dress I had on until I was left with only my undergarments. I looked back at Daisy who had done the same and then I began my shift. 

My bones cracked, sounding like I was cracking all my knuckles, repositioning themselves in impossible ways. The sliding of joints, shortening and elongating of bones, a sound that reminded me of chalk being scrapped on a chalkboard. The sound no longer bothered me, instead I just shut my eyes and imagined I was somewhere warm. When I opened my eyes I was now only two feet off the ground and my paws revealed the bright golden color of my fur. It has come to the point where I don't feel most of the pain when I shift since I've gone through the shifting process so many times. It was almost as if I go directly from a human to a wolf within a matter of two minutes. He told me as I kept shifting, I might be able to do it instantaneously one day.