Deep Dish

Brain turned from the electro-laser bars and sighed. He stole a glance at the inmate scanning device. "How ironic to have my freedom taken away by the very machine I created."

Brain invented the scanner to check the chemical and physical makeup of each prisoner every fifteen minutes. The scan would report any indications of escape, such as an increase in adrenaline or a hidden spoon, and the passive spray would be released.

A time pirate, one that Brain and Joe had put away, made a slashing motion across his throat. Brain gulped.

There had to be a way out. He had a twelfth level intellect after all. Brain began pacing the small stone and iron cell.

Wait. It takes 15.6 seconds for the guards to respond to the gas spray. Brain can hold his breath for 18.2 seconds. And the guards' stun sticks are on their left side. Brain glanced at the time pirate again. Protocol dictates that the guards focus on the aggressive prisoner. Brain only needed 1.29 seconds to active the stun stick while it was attached to the guard's leg. And it takes the guards 2.59 seconds to react to stimuli.

If Brain could taunt the time pirate to the point of violence, the spray would active; but the guards would treat Brain as the victim and be caught unawares as Brain procured a stun stick. Seeing as the pirate already loathed Brain for his involvement in thwarting his plans to steal treasures throughout time, it would not be difficult to "recruit" him.

Once free, Brain would easily prove his innocence.

Brain glanced at the scanner again. Now he just had to control his emotions in order to fool the scanner. An easy task for a genius of his caliber.

In 3.8 seconds, he could enact his plan.

The guard's unanticipated statement interrupted Brain's plan. "Walker, you have guests."

***

I fidgeted with the latest trending anti-stress app while we waited for the guard to bring Brian. Sally nervously paced; her route taking her across much of the room. The air conditioning made the stone-looking room seem that much colder. Intimidating lights hung overhead; they cast the room in a bright light that banished any shadow a criminal could plot in but that same light seemed harsh and unforgiving.

Armed guards, stationed at patterned intervals, glared at us. The constant squeaking of chairs as prisoners and guests left and entered was starting to get on my nerves. The cruel eyes of those I'd captured, and their guests, did not make the stay anymore pleasant.

Danny sat next to me typing away at a holographic screen. "Visiting Brain in prison," mumbled Danny. "Changed with murder and sabotage. Hashtag bored silly. Hashtag no filter. Hashtag good friend."

Finally, the guard and Brain entered with a nerve-shattering buh-zzz from the door. Brain looked defiant and proud as the guard led him over to us. I think Brain is the only person who could go to jail and still look like he'd just come from the dry cleaners. His wrinkle-free, dirt-free, orange jumpsuit seemed to glisten like a fresh load of laundry. His shoes were polished and his curly, brown hair combed. He smelled of scented soup instead of the day of sweat you'd expect. Even his hand and ankle cuffs looked washed and polished.

He gave the guard a polite nod as he thanked him. And then he sat.

"How you holding up?" I asked.

"As can be expected." That didn't really answer the question. "It is a hardship, but I will endure it." Brain has always been a bit, uh, uptight, but it got worse after he found out the secret to his name.

His name is actually Brain. And that bothered him; he wanted to know why his parents would name him that. In the course of his investigation, which took even a genius like him years to uncover, he found that he was adopted. His real "mother" was a scientist working for the government. They wanted to create a super-being that could battle the Xacians. Brain was basically born in a test tube, which is where his super-intelligence comes from.