Chapter Eight

Jax POV

It took everything in me to leave Annabelle with Dr Tessler as I went to sit in the waiting room. After seeing her worried face when she realised I was getting up and leaving without her my instincts started screaming at me to stay with her at all costs. I knew I couldn't though, she needed privacy if she was going to answer the questions honestly and the last thing she needed was me breathing down her neck and growling at every bit of information she revealed that I didn't like.

"I'll be waiting right outside" I reassured her as I kissed her forehead and went to sit in one of the uncomfortable orange chairs in the waiting room. Did I seriously authorise these chairs? I'll have to look into getting some comfier ones for my pack once I have a spare five minutes. Xavier has been looking after the pack since I first found Annabelle last night, not wanting to leave her for a second. She was so skittish at the moment I didn't want to leave her with anyone else, just in case she got scared of her new surroundings and makes a run for it.

I didn't know what she had been through to make her so on edge but I can imagine I will not like the answer once she finally trusts me enough to tell me.

I clenched my fists in anger at the mere thought of someone hurting my mate, hurting what's mine, and I had to take deep cleansing breaths before my wolfs anger took over and I destroyed this whole room.

'Alpha we are finished' Dr Tessler linked me after a few hours of me sitting here and I sighed in relief at the thought of having her in my arms again. She was like a calming balm to me and my wolf and I can't imagine my life without her, even though I've only known her for a total of thirteen hours.

I walked into the office and found Annabelle sitting in a chair in front of Dr Tessler's desk. I saw her physically relax as soon as her eyes locked onto mine and I smiled at the thought that she couldn't seem to spend that long away from me, just like I couldn't spend time away from her.

"Alpha I would like a moment to configure all of my data so if you wouldn't mind taking Annabelle outside for a few minutes I would really appreciate it" the doctor said as she looked up from her laptop screen.

I nodded my head in understanding and took Annabelle into my arms, glad I finally had her back with me, and made my way back towards those uncomfortable plastic chairs.

"So how'd it go?" I asked, wanting to find out if the doctor had made her uncomfortable in any way, but she just shrugged and nodded her head, as if that answered all my questions.

I sighed and nodded, I hoped she would trust me enough to talk to me soon. Her voice was like music to my ears and I could hear her talk all day.

We sat there in silence for a short while, both just enjoying each other's company, as we waited to be called back into the doctor's office. Even though neither of us spoke it wasn't an awkward kind of silence, it was more like we were just enjoying each other's company.

"Annabelle, the doctor is ready for you now" the receptionist informed us after a while as she peaked her head over her desk. I heard her heart flutter ever so slightly when our eyes locked but she quickly cast them down as she realised I was looking at her. I rolled my eyes and stood up, making my way back into the doctor's office.

"So Annabelle, I've correlated everything together form today's tests and they've all come back looking good". I sighed in relief at that, happy that my mate wasn't severely affected physically by what had happened to her. "There's nothing a bit of rest and plenty of food and liquid won't fix" she continued.

"Your quite malnourished so I'm putting you on a special controlled diet so that you can put some much-needed weight back on". I nodded at the thought of my Annabelle putting some more weight on, she was so tiny I could lift her with one arm.