Chapter 33: Serene.

Start from the beginning

Seeing that navy blue tie that Seven was gifted was the only thing that brought back those memories and that feeling that Nicolas cherished oh so much. Gazing down at the floor that morning, seeing his pale feet on the blue tie brought his heart to a stop and his stomach turning. The remembrance of his naked assistant, beneath him, his pale, sweaty skin, blushed in pure pink... it was a memory Nicolas could never let go of.

A memory taped at the back of his head like he was trying to look for a WANTED person.

"Nice tie?" Victoria's voice sounded behind him. Though Nicolas kept his eyes on the tie, his mouth open as if he wanted to speak, no words came out. Like he was in complete shock at seeing something so simple. His heart raced, feeling more ill every second that he realized how he felt.

Not ill about the feeling, but ill at what he's putting himself through with the marriage.

"Nick?" Victoria spoke again.

Nicolas blinked before turning around, taking a deep breath as if he were suffocating himself. He swallowed harshly and nodded at her, chuckling nervously, "Yeah. It's a nice tie."

"We can... buy it if you want." She tilted her head and threw her hands behind her back.

Nicolas shook his head, "No, no. It's fine. I have a couple of them at home."

Victoria hesitantly nodded before turning around and sighing, "Alright, if you say so~"

...

After shopping at the clothing store, they headed to a gaming shop. When walking around, Victoria talked about how her cousin's son was having a birthday party next month and wanted to gift him a video game.

The two walked into the shop, and Victoria spoke, "I was going to do this alone, but since you're from a video game company... I mean, who else is better to choose a video game for a kid, right?" she giggled, rolling up her beige sweater and walking towards a counter with stacks of video games.

Nicolas nodded, watching her walk in front of him.

The CEO sighed softly, putting his hands behind his back and following her. The shop was empty, with only three employees walking around. Indie music played in the scene, and only the noise heard was from Victoria humming to the same rhythm as the song. She held two games in each of her hands, tilting her head, "Which one do you think would fit a 13 year-olds interest?" she asked. Nicolas didn't answer, picking up a video game in front of him, seeing that it was one created by his company.

And it was something about seeing his father's name at the back of the game that brought back that ill feeling to his stomach again. His thumb caressed the company's title above his father's, feeling the smooth texture of the box.

And then another memory came up.

The memory of the day after the party when his father confronted him.

A horrible, aching memory that he should be used to by now.

His father shouting at him, and asking about his whereabouts during the party made Nicolas feel ill; sick to his stomach knowing that he disappointed his father.

And it wasn't like Nicolas was in the right.

He realized that; He realized skipping an important party like that was unprofessional.

Remembering it now, he grew guilty recalling the number of times Seven mentioned how a drinking game was not a good idea.

Being yelled at. Scolded. It was the worst feeling. Nicolas hated it. He hated being blamed and targeted for something involving failure. No one - not any of his old assistants - stood up for him. No one has ever defended him from his father because they, too, were scared of him.