Chapter 4: What is a Choice?

Niall’s P.O.V.

‘I sent him back.’ That was the thought that plagued my mind.

It wasn’t his time to be here. I had given up my life to save theirs, but my body became a shell of pure evil. If he didn’t stop it soon, I would be corrupted here and join my body and be evil. I couldn’t allow that to happen. He needed to save me along with the others.

I miss them all. I miss hearing their laughter, their jokes, and their serious life comments. I miss my brothers.

I turned around and began to walk back into the nothingness of the After. I passed many angels who have been here for longer than I’ve been around.

They will never know what the world is like anymore till judgment comes to the universe. I pitied them. So many heroes that have been forgotten by mo—

‘O gosh, will I be forgotten?’ I thought to myself.

My mood fell just thinking about being forgotten. Time keeps moving, but memories only last so long for everything except the most powerful beings.

I will be alone here until the time that I am saved or that… Nope, I will be alone forever.

**

Zayn’s P.O.V.

As I wondered the city looking for what I felt like I was supposed to be looking for, I felt an odd chill. My eyes scanned everywhere, but it didn’t come from anything living. It felt like the moon was watching me through a hole in the clouds. An odd celestial glow poured down around me making me look truly like a ghost.

I gazed up towards where the celestial body in space was supposed to be, but as soon I did, the light faded behind dark clouds. I wondered why I felt like it was staring at me. The rain continued and I looked down at a puddle. The sparkling of the stars far away beyond my reach appeared in the puddle for a brief sudden before rippled caused by the wind disturbed the water.

“I feel like I am going to fail this task Niall.” The muttered words left my mouth and suddenly became aware of how much truly depended on me and the other lads. The wind picked up around and my neck turned skyward again.

This wasn’t an ordinary storm. This storm was the beginning of everything that was to come. This was the storm that raged inside all of us as we waited for the chess board of hell to be set.

“Am I strong enough?” I asked myself out loud.

Thoughts raced all around as the wind picked up even more. It seemed like the wind was catering to my despairing thoughts. The more I thought about death, failure or other such things; the more it raged.

“Niall said that every choice we make determines a different outcome or rather that is what he was trying to say.” I began talking to myself to make sense of Niall’s words. “If I made the choice to come back, what was the reasoning behind it? I thought it would be great coming back and living, but how can I live if I’m dead to the world? Am I dead to myself? Is this just a figment of my thoughts telling me that I’m dead and all I must do is open my eyes?” I sighed as more questions came to me.

“Niall said as humans, we have the free will to make a decision, but as angels we are to follow orders. Does he mean—“I finally figured it out.

Niall never wanted me to make the decision based as an angel to stay with him. That was a totally human choice because I still wasn’t dead. If I followed orders, how could I have saved him?