Chapter 4: A Lesson Learned

The visor's black plastic gleamed in my hands, the light on it's side flashed green. I stared at the device in my hands, in awe that another world could exist somewhere inside something the size of my head. Each day I looked forward to going to Legerdemain, was I obsessed? No, obsessed wasn't the right word, I was enchanted.

I took a deep breath and logged in. It was a bright day, the sun shone in the candyfloss pink sky, giving the landscape a fresh and lively feel compared to the usual twilight. Even this couldn't stop the forest from looking totally ominous. I spotted a figure by the water's edge, but couldn't immediately identify who it was. Were there others here after all?

There was a man, wearing only black hakama, in his hands were two fans twirling in circular motions following and leading the man's spinning body. Suddenly a fan snapped shut as he lunged, it reopened with a crack as he jumped and spun, slicing the air in two, his long dark hair retraced the motions like a ribbon flowing. I suddenly realised it was Hikage. Without his billowing dark robes he was almost unrecognisable, only his hair and elegant prowess gave him away as the same person. I couldn't take my eyes from the fans, I was hypnotised into watching their dance, until eventually it stopped.

I stood for a moment slightly dumbfounded as the spell wore off, slapping my face to regain some composure I made my way down to the water. Hikage was stood watching over the violet lake, musing over one of the fans. His skin looked like porcelain against the harsh black of the hakama, even from a distance his lean musculature was obvious. I was almost next to him but was now even more speechless than before.

Hikage turned around, whether he heard or sensed me I wasn't really sure. I shouldn't have been shocked to find his front was like his back, perfectly lean and sculpted.

Oh god, do people get nosebleeds in this game? I really hoped not. I wasn't sure what to do. He raised his eyebrows. I opened my mouth but my brain still hadn't pulled itself away from admiring his body.

Pull yourself together! He's not even real!

I looked away and cleared my throat. This was no way for a man to act around his teacher!

"The fans were..." Beautiful? Did guys call things beautiful? "really cool." I ended, slightly deflated.

Deep breaths now.

"Thanks." His smile widened, he was finding something amusing.

He handed me one of the fans, without thinking I opened it. The folds unravelled silently and seamlessly to reveal a water coloured painting. Depicted was a boy sat under a cherry blossom tree, it's petals scattering around him, in the background sat a misty mountain, on it's shoulder was a setting sun. The casing and top edges of the fan were enclosed by gold, the weight in my hand assured me it wasn't just painted on. The gold shone in the light as I tilted the fan.

"Wow... that's really pretty." I breathed to myself.

"Thanks." Hikage replied, looking embarrassed but happy.

"Eh? Did you make them?" I looked up sharply.

"Yeah." He replied immediately, looking surprised.

I stared at the fan again, with a new appreciation. Master swordsman, skilled in multiple weapons, and something of a carpenter, sculptor and now this? What wasn't he capable of? I half expected him to tell me he was a magician next.

"Even the painting?" I mused.

He nodded. "I like to paint here, the scenery just seems perfect for it, don't you think?" He took back the fan, it was clear now that he handled them with care as he delicately folded it back up. He frowned as he ran his finger along a tear in the other one. "But I managed to break this one earlier, it happens though." He sighed.