The Fiendishly Clever Plan

Yeah, I know. I stole a chapter name from the first HTTYD book. Just go with it, yeah?

PS: I'm bad at chapter names XD

The Riders flew through the fog, following the determined Stormfly. She clearly remembered the hatchling's smell from the island itself, so she sniffed and flew on with ease.

There are some points that Stormfly flew a little too far and out of sight of the gang, so Hiccup had Toothless to use his echolocation skills, and they found Stormfly again.

There were a lot of shipwrecks in that fog. Hiccup even spotted a ship that was hanging skewered by a reef. Man, thought Hiccup, those are a lot of boats. How are we supposed to find a good ship in the middle of scattered broken ships?

Hiccup's thoughts were about to be answered.

Stormfly squawked, a little more quietly this time, and landed on a small reef. The others did the same, and Hiccup motioned them to be quiet.

For there were Hunter ships, not one, but tens and tens of them until it seems there were hundreds docked near some small reefs.

Hiccup gasped quietly in horror and amazement, because there were lots of those ships. How are they supposed to defend Wingmaiden Island and get the Hunters out of here?

Astrid looked horrified as well. She looked at Hiccup as if saying, what are we supposed to do now?!

"So," whispered Dagur, "how are we going to kick their butts then? I'm dying to beat Snotlout here. I bet his Monstrous Nighmare here can't win against a certain powerful Triple Stryke," he taunted quietly.

Snotlout muttered furiously, "Shut up Dagur." Hookfang growled.

Hiccup thought hard. These Hunters outnumber them ten to one, so they can't go in and attack head on without getting anyone hurt.

So they need to use the environment surrounding them.

Hmm... fog. They can attack in the fog just far enough for them to get a clear shot and stay out of sight. As long as nobody has something that gives off light for the Hunters to see, they're going to be pretty safe.

"Okay gang," whispered Hiccup. "Here's the plan..."

He whispered the fiendishly clever plan that is slightly dangerous.

"Nice," murmured Snotlout, "but I bet I can make a better plan."

Everybody glared at Snotlout.

"What?" he protested. "I'm just saying!"

Hiccup sighed in exasperation. "Okay," he said, "you guys ready? Three, two, one, go!"

They launched into the sky, as silent as mist, and they flew just out of sight of the Hunters as they spread out.

Hiccup, riding Toothless, the fastest dragon around, swooped in very quickly and quietly that nobody noticed, and picked up two Hunters and threw them into the sea.

"What was that?!" shouted a Hunter, looking around in confusion.

Silently, Snotlout had Hookfang shoot a fireball in the fog.

Instantly, a ship's sail burst into flames.

"What?!" yelled a Hunter, puzzled by this sudden attack.

Then Windshear threw in one of her blue fireballs, and Stormfly shot her extremely hot magnesium blast. Sleuther did the same.

Chaos ensued.

"WILD DRAGONS!" roared a particularly fat Hunter. The Riders, out of sight, kept on flying around the fleet and shooting rapid fireballs, so it seemed like there were more than twenty "wild" dragons attacking them. Toothless did not shoot, since his plasma blasts were too eye-catching and too unique for the Hunters to notice. His plasma blasts would give their cover away. So he swooped around the fleet with astonishing speed, grabbing Hunters and plunging them into the ice-cold sea.

Toothless's unmistakable Night Fury whistle was covered by the sound of yells and blasts. The Riders didn't yell a single word, but their dragons roared and screeched loudly to give the effect of wild dragons attacking the fleet.

"Shoot there!" "No, there!!!" "Aarrgghhh!!!" "Help!"

"What is going on?" demanded Viggo, stomping out of his cabin in one of the biggest ships. He got a clear view of fireballs and Nadder spines flying from inside the fog, and dodged out of the way of one of Sleuther's fireballs.

"Curses!" he swore. "Get your bows and Dragon Root arrows, now!" he ordered at three Hunters that hid behind barrels, and they scattered, terrified.

Viggo then observed the spectacular scene. His Hunters were helplessly trying to shoot arrows and nets at the "invisible" attackers, and every now and then one or two of them disappeared, screaming, and fell into the water. Fireballs flew everywhere, and sometimes Nadder spines hit and stuck into their shields.

But if there is anyone who can rival Hiccup and Fishlegs's knowledge about dragons, it's Viggo. And he knew every single fireball's owner.

Deadly Nadder, Razorwhip, Triple Stryke, and Monstrous Nightmare. Triple Stryke... Triple Strykes are very rare, and he knew that one of the Dragon Riders owned a Triple Stryke. Can this just be a very convincing illusion of "wild dragons attacking" but the ones behind it are just the Dragon Riders?

So unfortunately, Viggo also rivals Hiccup on his intelligence and military skills.

"Double the attacks!" ordered Viggo, and more arrows rained around the fleet that Hiccup couldn't get close to attack.

Meanwhile, Astrid had flown low, skimming the water just next to the ships so she couldn't be seen. Stormfly kept sniffing, and they were so close to finding the little hatchling without getting caught...

But Fate had other plans.

Viggo had figured out that the ambush could be a diversion, so he had some of his Hunters getting ready to attack on the sides of the ships.

The Hunters saw Stormfly whizzed past, and "FIRE!!!" nets flew at Stormfly, and she got tangled in one of the nets, screeching, and fell into the water.

"Oh no!!" yelled Hiccup. "Astrid's down!"

Only Heather and Dagur heard that, but Snotlout was a little too far away from Hiccup.

Viggo shot a few arrows and one of them hit Hookfang's leg, and he howled in pain, and burst into flames.

"Whoa, Hookfang! Calm down!" yelled Snotlout, desperately trying to control the flaming and roaring Monstrous Nightmare.

"Oh no..." said Heather.

Viggo saw clearly the flaming dragon through the fog and shot a net at it. Hookfang tumbled into the sea, and the Hunters were reeling him and Astrid in their ship.

Hiccup gasped.

This is a problem.