Chapter 7

A/N: oop another chapter focused on good ol' seababy

Samuel closed his eyes tightly in pain, not really registering where he was hit by the bullet, just that he was hit. The doctor ran over to him, and started to tell him that everything would be okay, but Sam wasn't really listening. This was the most pain he had ever been in.

After a minute or two of the doctor doing something to the bullet wound, Samuel couldn't really tell what, but he assumed that it was bandages, he finally opened his eyes again. He slowly steadied his breathing, and tried to not focus on the pain. He slowly sat up from the ground, looking around. The doctor was putting bandages around his arm, and there was blood soaked on his sleeve.

"Did I...did I get shot?" He asked, though the answer was obvious.

"Yes. The bullet hit your right arm, but it's surprisingly not a very bad wound. You'll be alright, if that's what you meant to ask." The doctor explained, Sam just nodding along awkwardly. There wasn't really much for him to say, and instead he looked at Alexander and his friend in the distance. They seemed to be...celebrating?

Sam sighed. He expected Alex to feel some remorse for shooting him, but he didn't. He made eye contact with Alexander, who glared at him.

"When...when can I go home? Do I have to go to a hospital?" Samuel asked the doctor, who was still trying to bandage Sam's arm.

"You have to come to the hospital, just for a few tests, but you should be able to go home...tomorrow." The doc explained, standing up. Sam realized they were still outside, and that they had to go back across the river to get to the hospital. Sam struggled to his feet, his head pounding. He cradled his injured arm, and the doctor looked at him with pity.

They walked back the boat, and the doctor rowed it, though Sam insisted on helping.

When they got to the hospital, the doctor led Sam to a room which had a curtain in the middle, which Sam assumed was dividing his bed from another.

"So, you can explore the room freely, there's some books and paper on the shelf. Try not to disturb Mr. Lee there in the other bed, he's still recovering." The doctor told Sam, before leaving and closing the door. Samuel sighed, walking to the shelf and picking up a book with his good arm. He walked back to his bed, flopping down on it and frowning. He had sent that letter to the king, and confessed his feelings.

But he had no reason to. He sighed heavily, thinking that the king would probably hate him.

"I can never return to Britain now..." He mumbled, curling up in a ball, holding his injured arm close to his chest as he started to sob. He cried for a while, before he finally fell into a dreamless sleep.

He woke up a few hours later, not remembering where he was.

"Wait..okay...I'm in a hospital. I got in a d-duel..." He reassured himself, and then he heard a voice from the other side of the curtain.

"A duel too? Wow. Thought I was the only one!" The voice said, laughing. Sam akwardly walked around the curtain, curious as to who said that. In the hospital bed on the other side was a man who had black hair and warm brown eyes. The man smiled at him, raising an arm and waving slightly.

"H-hello! I-I'm Samuel Seabury. B-but you can c-call me Sam, if you want." Sam stuttered, and the man laughed again.

"Charles Lee, nice to meet ya." He said, grinning. Sam sat down in the chair next to the man's bed, smiling warmly.

He had finally made a friend.