Chapter Twenty-Six: The Dark Eyed Temptress

Nate

A Monster.

Even now, with the pain of her betrayal still fresh in my mind and in my heart; I just knew that no matter how hard I will try to hate her, to forget about her, to think her the very monster I had called her; I never will be able too.

At some point my eyes must have drifted shut at their own accord.

I waited in the darkness. Preparing myself to hear a similar alluring voice to hers, one that would break my will and turn me into a human puppet - but nothing happened.

Everything was utterly silent besides the audible sound of my heart galloping away inside my chest as I breathed heavily, followed by the constant painful thrum that was beating inside of my head.

"So we meet again, human", I suddenly hear a cold, feminine voice say from above me, breaking the silence.

A very familiar, cold, feminine voice.

My eyes snap open, and I blink up at the figure that stands over me, but dark shadows still cover its face as it watches me with an animal like stillness as I take a second to look at the outline of the creature. And sure enough it was a women that stood above me, if the outline of her obvious curves were anything to go by.

An old street light from behind me decides at this moment to flicker back to life, allowing me to finally be able to see the creature.

My eyes widen in shock.

Her golden blonde hair is braided back, capturing the light, causing her hair to glow, where as her eyes do the opposite, seemingly swallowing the light like the deepest and darkest depths of the ocean as she stares coldly down at me.

It is her, the Siren from the cottage. The one with the dark, twisted smile that had told me the truth.

She continues to stare silently down at me, her wings nowhere in sight, while I stare up at her in dazed confusion, trying to figure out why she is here, but my mind is all fuzzy, and the painful throbbing in my skull grows, feeling like someone had had the pleasure of taking a sledgehammer to it repeatedly.

"Confused, human?" She taunts, a ghost of a smile on her lips.

I push up onto my elbows, blinking repeatedly when I see more than one of her standing side by side by side, before they merge back into one, causing my head to spin.

I swallow, trying to ignore the sudden urge to throw up, and begin to rasp out, "Why-".

"Why am I here?" The Siren mockingly supplies for me, cutting me off with a roll of her dark eyes, "You sound just like her".

My breath hitches as my heart stutters painfully.

'Just like her'

Stop it. She could mean anyone.

Shuffling on my elbows, I try to sit up, but that only causes my vision to warp and my head to spin once again like I've had one to many drinks. With a pained groan, I lean back on my elbows, not caring about the sharp slithers of rocks that litter the sidewalk, biting into my skin as my eyebrows scrunch up in confusion.

"I don't... I don't understand".

The dark eyed temptress crouches down beside my left shoulder.

Her eyes shimmer with fake pity as she whispers, "Silly, silly boy". She places her left hand on my chest, right over my heart, giving it a few ungentle taps that cause me to flinch.

Her lips twist into a smug smirk as she leans closer to me, "You shouldn't believe everything you are told".

Her hand makes a fist in the fabric of my borrowed shirt, and I gasp as the world moves around me as the Siren stands up straight, yanking me up with her, giving me no choice but to get up onto my feet as well.