Chapter Eighteen: Warm Blanket. Warm Bed

Nate
Next morning

When I come to the next morning, I feel so content, and well rested for the first time in almost a month. No nightmares had plagued me as I slept.

With my eyes still shut, I stretch my arms above my head, some reason causing my extremely warm blanket to move, and mumble incoherently. With my arms still raised above my head, against the headboard, I slowly open my eyes and blink up at the paint chipped ceiling, sunlight slithering through the boarded up windows.

Taking a deep breath, I slowly tilt my head down causing my breath to get stuck in my throat on the way out as I gaze down at the Goddess sprawled out on top of me.

All the memories from the night before come rushing back; how she showed up drenched and crying, how I held her, how she had explained her fight with her parents, how she had asked me not to leave her, and how my immediate reply had been, 'Never'. And I meant it, if only I could actually keep that promise to her. If only.

Focusing my eyes back to the beautiful creature before me, on me, I study her.

She no longer lays on the side of my chest with one arm across my torso like she had been when I fell asleep, but right on top of me, literally her whole entire small frame rests on top of mine. Her track pants covered legs are nestled between mine as she lies on her stomach. Her arms are situated on both sides of my body, her hands partially under my body, clinging onto my back, hugging me as she sleeps peacefully, her luscious chocolate brown hair draped across her face.

My fingers twitch, itching to brush aside her hair, to reveal sleeping her face to me.

After a moment, I cave and give into the temptation, and slowly lower my right arm. My hand gently brushes her feather soft hair back behind her head, my hand then hovers above her as I take in her face. Her pink heart-shaped lips are slightly parted as she takes deep breaths through her mouth. Her long, dark eyelashes are crescent shape moons against her pale skin, hiding those magnificent blue eyes from me.

Carefully, I lower my hand onto her velvet soft cheek, my large tan hand is a stark contrast to her porcelain skin. As I caress my thumb across her cheekbone she stirs in her sleep, somehow managing to snuggle even closer to me. Not that I'm complaining.

Unable to help myself I slowly lower my other arm, placing it onto her back, my hand still caressing her face.

I stay like that for a while, unable to stop myself from watching her sleep, even though I know it is probably a bit creepy, but I just couldn't look away from her.

Suddenly she stirs again. This time she moves her right hand up my chest, causing a shiver to run unbidden down my spine, and at the same time, her left hand goes through her long unruly hair all the while she still lies on her stomach, on top of me.

I then watch her freeze, placing both of her hands on my chest, she uses them to lift her upper body up slightly. Her eyelids flutter open, revealing her sleepy blue eyes, she blinks repeatedly before focusing them on me.

I wait for her to jump back, but she doesn't. Instead her lips stretch into a lazy smile, her pale cheeks blooming with colour once she realises the position were in.

And suddenly I get a realisation of my own. I had just experienced one of the things I thought I would never, ever get the chance to experience with her, but wished that I could. 

To wake up beside her.

And by some miracle, my wish just came true.

And as she whispers, "Hi", her voice deeper and raspier then normal; I know that if I could, I would happily wake up beside her again and again, for the rest of my life. If only I could be so lucky. If only.