Chapter 8

Chapter 8

I wake up slowly, realizing that Peter is shivering. Great, this is making me feel even more guilty. I know that I promised him that I wouldn't leave but I am truly concerned for his health. I slowly take his arm off of me and stand up. I creep over to my bow and arrow. I sling it over my shoulder quietly as not to wake him up. I exit the mouth of the cave while admiring the beautiful sunrise. Its rare that I find anything beautiful nowadays, I mean I'm surrounded by such a horrible lifestyle that finding just a small speck of beauty can make a significant difference. 

I tread on through the forest trying to remember my way around. Was the chalice this way or that way? All the trees look exactly the same so there is not really a way of knowing where to go. I see someone running with a backpack. They must have just come from the chalice. I crouch down so they can't see me and I wait until they are gone. With a cautious start, I run in the direction they came from. I spot the Chalice and look around me. No one is here! Time to run!

I sprinted and saw a small black backpack with Neverland's symbol (2 stars) on it. That must be his medicine. I grab it quickly and start dashing back when I was side- tackled by someone. He pinned me down. Once I saw their face, I realize that they work with Emero. I didn't recognize him though.

"Where's lover boy?" He spits in my face.

I remain silent.

"Oh, you are trying to hide him, huh? That's cute... real cute." He got even closer to my face. 

"Get off of me." I struggle beneath him.

"No, let me have my fun." He crashes his lips on mine. I scream and fight him off as much as I can.

"Hey!" I hear a deep voice yell. "Get off of her!"

Weight gets lifted off of me as my savior pushes Emero's buddy off me. He beats him violently to death. The body falls limp and I stare up at the boy in horror. I know him, he came from Pinnocchio's land.

 He got in my face.

"I saw what you did for Pinnocchio and just this once I am letting you go. This is a one time thing, you hear? Now leave." He ran off. 

Wow, did that really just happen? I shouldn't tell Peter about anything that just happened, like that random kiss or me being saved. Hopefully he doesn't notice that I was gone until after I get back.

I walk into the cave, but Peter isn't in there. Where did he go? Did someone kill him when he was sleeping? I started panicking when I heard a noise behind me. I draw my arrow and turn.

"Peter?" I say slowly putting it down.

"Wendy! Oh thank god you are ok." I drop my weapon and he engulfs me in a hug.

"I'm ok, everything's fine." I say into his shoulder.

"You had me so worried, I thought something happened to you." Wow, he sounds genuinely worried about me. He backed up and saw the backpack.

"Bloody hell Wendy, you promised me you weren't going to leave. Why did you do that?" Ok... now he seems angry.

"Peter look, I woke up today and you were severely even more sick than before. It was killing me on the inside to see you suffering. I care about you and I was very concerned, so I had every right to go get that medicine. " I stand my ground.

He looks a little taken back.

"So you care about me?" He smirks.

"Of course I do, why wouldn't I?" I chuckled.

"Well I-" There was a loud sound outside. We go to the mouth of the cave and look up into the sky. Magically written in the sky were the names of all the tributes that were killed so far.

"19...20.... 21.... That's it?" He counts.

"There is only one other person left." It hit me, "Did you see Emero's name on there?"

"Um, I don't think so love."

"I hate to say this but we have to go find him now, and get rid of him."

"No, I agree. The sooner he is dead, the sooner you and I will be safe."

"Well here, take this." I hand him a small bottle with a slimy green medicine in it. "It doesn't look appetizing but it should heal you instantly with the power of magic."

He looks at it in disgust. "Well, here goes nothing."

He takes a gulp and I can't help but laugh. The face he is making was pretty ridiculous.

He shakes his head and looks at me.

"Feel any better?" I ask.

"I think so." 

I felt his forehead.

"Well?" He asks.

"You don't have a fever anymore, but you might feel a little tired. Do you want to rest some more?" I said.

"No, I will be fine. We have a game to win." He strides out the cave.

I grab my bow.

"Let's play." I smirk.