Chapter 4

Chapter 4

I was sitting in my room with the door locked. I haven't talked to anyone since the I interviews. I sit on my bed with my legs crossed. How am I possibly going to survive the games tomorrow?!? Think Wendy think!

I hear a lot of laughing and cheering outside. Do the celebrations here ever stop? And why are they celebrating? It is hard for me to think that they think this is all fun and games. I look out my window and glance up to the left. I see Peter sitting on the roof, with his elbows resting on his knees, fingers intertwined.

I go into his room and lean out the window.

"Couldn't sleep?" I ask.

"Nope." He says not looking at me.

"Can I join you?"

"Sure."

I carefully crawl out the window, trying not to tear my new white nightgown.

I sit next to him and look at the raging party.

"This makes me sick." He says.

"I understand, its not right. How can you celebrate children dying?" I scoff.

"They are too arrogant to see what we have to deal with."

"At least you have a good chance tomorrow." I say, turning my head.

"What do you mean? So do you?" He looks at me with his emerald eyes.

"Peter, I have no magic and I bet you I don't have any sponsors-"

"You know Wendy, if I was a sponsor, I would pick you. You are unique, in a good way. You are a very independent and strong beautiful young lady. Don't let them play with you, as if you were a piece of their game. You have fire within you and I believe you can win these stupid games. But don't worry, I will not let anyone hurt you." He says, gently placing his cold hand on mine.

"Thanks Peter." I smile. I start to lean in and so does he. Right before our lips touch, I pull back. It just didn't feel like the right time.

He clears his throat and tries to avoid the awkward situation that just occurred. "Well, we should get some rest love, we will need it for tomorrow."

I nod and he hops back into the window. He puts his hand out and helps me in. He places me down and I'm right up against him, my hands on his chest and everything. I back away suddenly. I think we both blushed.

"I should go." I say while walking out of the unfamiliar room. "Goodnight."

"Wait-"

"Yes?" I say popping my head back in.

"Never mind Wendy, it's stupid. Good night."

I walk out and back into my room.

What was he going to say?

I got into my bed and surprisingly fell asleep.

I open my eyes and I am in my old room, well the nursery actually. That is what my mother and father call it. I see my mother sitting by the window.

"Mother?" I say. She doesn't look at me. She then turns her head. She looks much older....

Two grown men walk in with flowers.

"Michael, John..." She slowly gets up and walks to them.

"Mother, how are you? Is it getting bad again?"

"What do you mean bad again?" I say placing my hand on his. Yet, he still doesn't look.

"Well, I have my bad and good days. Everything I look at reminds me of Wendy."

"Mother I'm right here." I say.

Michael helps her sit back down in her rocking chair.

"She has been gone for more than ten years mother, I know it's sad but it's not healthy for you to sit here and grieve."

Michael takes out the pin he gave me and puts it in my mother's hand.

"She is here with us, in spirit..." He says while a tear slides down his face.

They all start to cry and and huddle into a hug. My mother sobs into her hands.

"Mother, please...." I fall to my knees.

The doors behind us are kicked open. Three of Regina's knights came in and grabbed my brothers.

"What are you doing?" gasps my mom.

"They are summoned to be in the next story games." states one.

"No!" I scream.

They start to drag them away. The boys fight back.

"Please!" my mom sobs, "I can't lose another child!"

The boys both scream "Mother! Mother!"

The doors slam shut with the muffled cries of Michael and John. My mother falls out of her chair, into the floor, very weak.

My mother grabs her chest, wheezing for air.

"Mom!" I fall next to her side. She is hopeless, I can't save her.

"Wendy?" she stared straight into my eyes.

"Mother! Yes it's me!" I cry.

"Wendy," she cups my face, "Wendy!"

She gasps even more.

"Wendy!"

"Mom! Stay with me!"

"Wendy!" a voice shouted, "Wendy wake up!"

My eyes shoot open. Peter is next to me.

"Peter," I begin to cry, "It was awful! My brothers... my mother... I-"

"Shhhh..." He lays down next to me and holds me, "it's ok, Im here. Just focus on me."

I look into his eyes and I immediately become calm.

"Go back to sleep. I will keep the bad dreams away. I will shelter you." He coos.

My eyes flutter and I fall asleep in his embrace....

A/n so school gets out next Wednesday so I promise I will update more next week!!!! Sorry if I am annoying you with my absence.