Chapter 1

The Story Games

I was out hunting for tonight's meal. I pull my arrow back, aiming at a wild pig.

"Aim more to the left." whispers a voice in my ear.

I jump and release my arrow, which hits a tree.

"Felix! Don't sneak up on me!"

"Wendy, look." he points.

Another wild pig! He throws a rock frightening it and I release my arrow, straight into it.

"Yes!" I say.

We run over to it, direct hit.

"Nice," he says.

"Thanks." I blush.

We both sit on the ground and lean against a log.

"Are you ready for tomorrow?" I ask.

Tomorrow is the day of the reading. Every year, two boys from each land get picked to fight in an area for the higher class citizens to watch for their own pleasure. Stupid, right?

"I think so, I just don't want to think about it."

"I know, I can't even imagine what I would do if you got called, or even if my two brothers got called. John would maybe last awhile, but poor little Michael would never make it." It's hard to think about.

"There are quite a lot of boys here, don't worry about it."

"I hate this world we live in..." I mutter.

"Wendy, why don't we run away, escape now to a world that doesn't participate in the Story games."

"Yeah ok sure," I say sarcastically, "let me know when you find a magic bean."

"I will, an we will take your brothers and get out of here."

"That would be nice." I smile and tuck a loose curl behind my ear.

Felix pulls out a piece of chocolate and breaks it in half.

"Woah, how did you get this?!?" I ask.

"I stole it from Pan. Shhh." he covered his lips.

I nod and take a half. He knows how to make a girl happy.

"Happy story games!" I mock Zelena's voice.

"And may the chapters be ever in your favor." He clinks our chocolates together.

*****

I drop off the pig, we give it to the lost boy that cooks all of our meals. In return, he gives me this cool golden pin of Big Ben.

"I know that's where you used to live Wendy, so that's why I thought you should have it."

"Thanks Slightly." I say.

Peter clears his throats.

"Boys, it's almost time for the reading. Come on, let's go!" He orders. Everyone scrambles to get ready.

I see Michael and John looking for me.

"Over here." I yell.

They run over to me. Michael hugs my legs.

"Do we look alright?" asks John, straightening up.

"You look like young gentlemen." I say bopping his nose. They nervously giggle.

"I have something for you two. It's a pin. It will bring you good luck, an it will keep you safe."

"Thanks Wendy!" they say.