Chapter 6

Chapter 6

My eyes flutter open again and I glance down. All the boys are alseep. Nice going Emero, such a good team for kepping watch.

"Psst..... Psst...." I hear behing me.

I turn and see Pinnocchio up in a tree across the way. He started pointing up.

"What are you....ohh" I whisper. There is a black nest hanging a little ways above me. I have heard about that nest. Inside of it holds a creature called a wraith. It basically sucks out your soul and instantly murders you.

Pinnocchio points to my dagger and then to the nest. I nod, slowly stand up, and start sawing at the branch that contained the nest. It eventually cracks but it hits me on the way down, making me fall backward out of the tree. My head hits the floor pretty hard. The nest hit the floor and breaks open. A black shadow/ghost ermerges and starts chasing the group. One boy doesn't get up fast enough. My head was spinning but I still witnessed the wraith sucking out the poor boy's soul. They all disperse. I get up slowly, for my vision is making me feel like I don't know anything about where I am going. I grab the dead boy's bow and arrow. I hear yelling behind me. I turn and Peter is in my face.

"Get out of here Wendy! Go! Quick! What are you doing? Go!" He yells.

I nod and start running. I keep running until my dizziness has completely taken over myu body. I fall straight into the dirt and my eyes close.

***********************

Wow, my head is throbbing. I find myself propped up against a log, with damp leaves on my forehead.

"Wh-Where am I?" I mutter.

"It's alright... Just relax." I look, its Pinnochio.

Pinnocchio tells me all about his past and I roughly tell him about mine.After awhile, we disscuss our plan to destroy the main groups supplies. Once I feel more stable, we get up and prepare ourselves.

"Ok, I will meet you back here. Remember to throw this pixie dust in the air if you need something. It will lead you to me. Ok kiddo?"

"OK Wendy."

I pat his back and run off. Once I see their giant supply pile, I duck down behind a bush. As planned, our signal fire goes off. The group points and looks.

"Let's go!" yells Emero.

The group all runs off, but I notice something strange. Peter isn't with them.

Focus Wendy, focus.

I'm about to head to the pile when I see some kid from the land with no color run in a specific pattern to the supplies. It must be protected by some land mines.

The boy leaves and runs back into the trees. Maybe I can just blow up the supplies.

I pull my bow back and take a deep breathe. I aim for a bag of red poisoned apples. I release, and as if it is in slow motion, the apples fall. One-byone, they trigger the smaller explosions, leading up to one massive explosion. The blow makes me fall back, ears ringing. I get up and run from the destruction. I get back to my base camp, but no Pinnocchio to be seen.

"Pinnocchio? Pinnocchio?!?" I frantically scream.

I throw my pixie dust into the air. It leads me to about half a mile away. I see a small body squirming and yelling beneath a net. I run to him and help him out. He stands up and gives me a hug.

"Are you alright kiddo?" I straighten his shirt out.

"Yes, um Wendy?" He points behind me scared.

I turn and see a kid with a spear pointing at us. As if on command, I pull out an arrow and shoot him. He falls to the ground.

"That was..." The boys spear is sticking into Pinnocchio's gut. He falls to the floor.

I run to him and support his head on my leg.

He screams in pain.

"Shh, just focus on me..." I cup his face, "Just listen to me."

"Did you do it Wendy?"

"Yes, it's all destroyed."

"Good." He flinches in pain.

His eyes started to flutter.

"No, don't leave me." I feel a tear slide down my face.

"Wendy, sing me a song...please..." He begged.

"Oh ok, this is a song my mother used to sing to me."

He nodded.

I begin to sing, my voice all shaky from crying:

"Once upon a time and long ago

I heard someone singing
Soft and low
Now when day is done
And night is near
I recall this song I used to hear
My child, my very own,
Don't be afraid, you're not alone
Sleep until the dawn
For all is well
Long ago this song was sung to me
Now it's just a distant melody
Somewhere from the past I used to know
Once upon a time
And long ago..."

His eyes never closed, he is gone....

I start sobbing over him, I hope the creators of the Story games are happy. I place him down and surround him with the best plants I could find. My tears fall over him while I place flowers in his hands.

I feel a comforting arm go around my shoulder. I look up with fear until I see that it is Peter.

"Oh Peter, it's just horrible.." I sob into him.

"I know love, I know..." He kissed the top of my head.

I don't think I have ever cried this much in my whole life, but Peter's presence calmed me a little.